post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
rocket_dan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_dan View Post
I just checked it with my TDS meter, which is properly calibrated. It says 107 now. It's been around 105-110 since I got the meter a few weeks ago, even after additives (such as Easy Green) that should logically raise TDS.

As for the GH/TDS, I do use Shrimp King Bee Salt GH+. I can't just add that straight to the water (or add water with much higher TDS/GH) without risking too big a change they can't handle, can I?
AH okay. Nope, you'll want to change parameters over time through water changes.

Are those parameters, in your first post, tap water? Or are you re-mineralizing RO water? If your KH is 4 and your TDS is about 110~ish , then your KH is taking up the majority at about(4 x 18) 70~ish TDS. That leaves about 40 or so for GH which actually makes it about 2-3 GH which is too low. If I remember correctly you'll need to bump it up to about 5-6 range. Which should bring your total TDS up to about 150 ish.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...020%20per%20gh.
Wow, thanks! I've never heard of that calculation before, but it definitely makes sense. I'll keep that in mind- I just hope I can get GH high enough in relation to TDS in time for my shrimp to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_dan View Post
I just checked it with my TDS meter, which is properly calibrated. It says 107 now. It's been around 105-110 since I got the meter a few weeks ago, even after additives (such as Easy Green) that should logically raise TDS.

As for the GH/TDS, I do use Shrimp King Bee Salt GH+. I can't just add that straight to the water (or add water with much higher TDS/GH) without risking too big a change they can't handle, can I?
AH okay. Nope, you'll want to change parameters over time through water changes.

Are those parameters, in your first post, tap water? Or are you re-mineralizing RO water? If your KH is 4 and your TDS is about 110~ish , then your KH is taking up the majority at about(4 x 18) 70~ish TDS. That leaves about 40 or so for GH which actually makes it about 2-3 GH which is too low. If I remember correctly you'll need to bump it up to about 5-6 range. Which should bring your total TDS up to about 150 ish.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...020%20per%20gh.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, it's distilled water re-mineralized with aforementioned Bee Salt. The KH comes from buffering powder which SHOULD keep it at 7.0, but I was keeping PH lower in hopes of establishing the tank for blue bolt shrimp (I'm just doing a separate tank for that now).

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-19-2020 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome