The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Panacur-C vs Planaria Zero, the test
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Blue Ridge Reef
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Good point! I dosed according to what seem to be agreed upon internet instructions since there were no directions in English on the Planaria Zero and only by weight of a canine on the Fenben. I am dosing these estimating that there is 9 gallons of water volume on tanks 1 &2, and 40 gallons on tank #3 (which isn't really part of this comparison).

Tank one: Neocaridina davidi (black rose color), Caridina cantonensis (crystal red)
Dosed with 1.5 grams Planaria Zero initial dose, 1.5 grams after 24 hours.

Tank two: Neocaridina davidi (goldenback yellow color), Caridina cf. cantonensis sp. 'Blue Tiger' (orange eyed royal blue tiger)
Dosed with .1 gram of 22.2% Fenbendazole, premixed into RO water. I remembered from last time that this stuff does not dissolve easily. Dosed same amount after 24 hours. I had read both 24 and 48 hours for the 2nd dose and decided to just do them on the same schedule.

Tank three: Neocaridina davidi (blue dream color), Caridina multidentata (Amano shrimp):
Dosed 4 grams of Planaria Zero, deliberately underdosing as I'd read that a 50% dose was effective for many tanks and I didn't want to disturb this one more than I had to with injected CO2 on top of medicating.

Day 3 (early) update.
Tank #1:
I can see a few worms in tank #1 but they seem very unhappy. None are above the substrate line nor moving much.

Tank #2:
I cannot find a single planarian. That's not to say that there aren't any, but the one that was on the glass yesterday is a white stain at this point. I tend to think that Fen Ben is faster-working, though that's not indicative of being more effective long-term, nor safer for fauna.
Tank #3:
Is a 45 gallon with Eco Complete inert substrate. Still active planaria in this one. Perhaps I shouldn't have underdosed and it will receive a full dose tonight.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome