The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Getting back in the game and need some advice
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Monk3y God
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question Getting back in the game and need some advice

I have been out of tanks for about 5 years now and actually have some money to build my dream nano now. I want a 12 gal long planted and I have some old equipment that I am hoping to repurpose. Basically I need to know what is new and considered the best that I should look to add for this tank?

Substrate - Looking for substrate options as I want to make this a tank for nano schools of fish, and maybe shrimp with over filtering. I have used Fluval substrate and EcoComplete but looking for something a little nicer and easy to clean

Filter - Eheim 2213 that I plan on re-tubing and and getting replacement filters for. I am going to create a custom tubing solution for flow control with clear acrylic tubes and glass inflow and outflow and maybe add a surface skimmer. What filter media is considered the best now? Should I get a new filter?

Heater - I have a Hydor 200W in line heater that was getting a little flakey. What should I consider replacing with?

Others - I would like to add a good in line UV filter as it looks like they are more common now. Any suggestions here are appreciated.

Lighting - I can figure this out but I like the Current Satellite Freshwater for the effects and the aesthetic of the unit.

CO2 - back when I was poor I used a diy yeast option and then an unregulated option. I am intrigued by the cheap regulators on Amazon but opinions will help on this subject.

Any other ideas would be appreciated on how to make this build amazing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome