The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Quag's 10 Gallon Standard
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Quagulator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Life has been super busy over the last year for myself, with fall weather finally setting in I'll be paying more attention to the aquaria hobby. I really want to join up with my local aquaria club, but for obvious reasons they aren't having meetings or letting newbies into the club for now. The 10 gallon had a rough go over the last few weeks - lack of water changes, lack of trimming, CO2 ran out and one of my 2 bulbs burnt out.

I cleaned up the plant mess, swapped in a new used bulb, did a big water change and dosed my ferts back up - working on filling up my CO2 this weekend again.

Not much to look at, but there is some growth.

Stunted crypts:

Plants are ever so slowly beginning to grow out of stunting. I realized I don't have enough light to get the reds I want. I can't find it in me to spend any more money on a little 10 gallon, especially when this was given to me for free by my old man. Some of you may recognise it as the tank I stuck my pond goldfish in for the winter - sadly they have passed through the digestive tract of a great blue heron earlier this year, RIP Patsy and Steven 2:

The plan is to use this 55 gallon tank to acquire the equipment I need for a 4 foot setup - I eventually want something in the 4 foot, 100+ gallon range, but the price tag on the things I'll want is just too much for a one-time purchase at the moment.

Equipment I already have include:

Tank + Stand
Lights (LED's and T5's)
Filtration
Griggs style reactor (unsure if it's efficient enough + I want a bypass valve for easy maintenance)

Equipment I'll need now:

CO2 regulator + Solenoid (no more low quality paintball system stretched to its limits)
CO2 tank (5 or 10 lb)
RO unit + fill station in the basement dedicated to aquaria (hose and pump in the basement with line running to the tank)
DIY reactor if my current one isn't efficient enough (not sure on design just yet)

Equipment I'll add over the long term (as my budget allows):

Aquarium controller (for lighting and CO2)
Lighting (more T5's likely)
Livestream camera
Sump (**maybe** I love my Eheims)
DIY finished stand
4 foot rimless tank in the 100 gallon range

So, unfortunately I lost my love for this little 10 gallon, at least as my main / only tank. Maybe it will be brought back as a countertop betta tank with Aqua Soil or something in the future, who knows! For now I'll continue sorting out its issues while I gather the required equipment for the 55 gallon.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome