The Planted Tank Forum banner

turning off filter with a timer

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mfgann 
#1 ·
So with work from home, I am more sensitive to small noises.
Even my sponge filter + air stone are starting to drive me mad.
I did everything to reduce the noise. But a small noise is always there and I am sensitive.
I have almost no bioload in the tank, a couple of apple snails and some shrimp, about 40-50 gallon.
I am thinking to just put a timer and turn off the airstone and filter for 3 hours in the morning, then turn for an hour, and then three hours off again.
I assume the bacteria can survive this. any thoughts?

#2 ·
I have misophonia and noise sensitivity issues, too, so I feel your pain. I can't stand the sound of splashing water or anything but the tiniest bubbling. However, I can handle constant humming. Have you considered a powerhead instead of an airstone?

#3 ·
You don’t even need a timer as you can run your tank without any filtration equipment. All you have in a big 40g tank are shrimp and snail that have Insignificant bio load. I have a nano 1g shrimp bowl run without filtration or aeration, just occasional water change.

#7 ·
Airstone and bubbles are bad noise makers and I can't stand them but there are lots of cheap powerheads or pumps which will move lots of water to the surface for the gas exchange and almost no noise. I need my water moving!
Solve the hazard with a bit of tulle/ wedding veil/ fishnet to cover the intakes. Wedding tulle from the fabric shop is super cheap and has lots of uses if you have it on hand.

#8 ·
When I was a kid I had a 10g in my bedroom with a corner filter and air stone. I used to unplug it at night with no harm done.

I really don't hear my canister filters unless I'm right on top of them. There have been times where I've had to touch them to see if they were going.

#10 · (Edited)
My air pump/sponge filter on the hospital tank I have (set up to quarantine some Endlers) is very noisy. Once I shut that off I can't even hear the Fluval Spec V running. Good internal pumps/filters are MUCH quieter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.