The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Sick corydoras?
Thread: Sick corydoras?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 06:26 PM
Discusluv
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The issue is most likely due to ammonia. I usually deal with ammonia totals in PPM so unsure what a measure of 57 signifies.
Regardless, even slight traces of ammonia can stress a fish and make it vulnerable to secondary bacterial infections.
Have you checked your water parameters coming from your tap: ammonia, nitrite, nitrates? Its a good idea to get a baseline number of what you are dealing with prior to going into your tank.

How are you testing your water parameters?. It is very unusual that a cycled aquarium have 0 nitrates unless heavily planted. The strips are very unreliable, so I would advise to get an API liquid test kit if using strips.

Treatment: First thing I would up the amount of water changes you are doing in the short and long-term to control rising ammonia.

Short term: I would do a 50% water change today and then retest to see where you are with ammonia. If ammonia not at zero, do another 50% water change.
Long term: Do 50% water changes weekly, obviously the 25% you are doing is not enough.

Improving water quality may be enough to aid your cory. Traces of ammonia suppress immune system. Clean water may be all you need to remedy this situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome