The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Can you keep a nicely planted high tek tank with only 20% wwc?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Arturosito
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you keep a nicely planted high tek tank with only 20% wwc?

Hi, so I am now back in the world of planted aquariums after two decades. On those two decades there was a period I even had a reef tank, so I gained a lot of experience in the aquatic world. But things have changed, now people talk about heavy fert dosing and 50% weekly water changes twice per week, even.

I did my research to come back to the planted tank world, but I wasn't expecting those water changes twice per week.

My tank is 3 weeks old now and I'm getting an algae bloom which I'm sure is normal, correct? I mean I've seen the phenomenon in my previous reef aquarium. So algae should go away, correct?

So according to recommendations, I should be making those 50% wc twice per week, but I must confess I'm only doing 40% once a week.

My question is, once things normalize, can I keep a nicely neat planted tank with let's say 20% water changes weekly or even every 2 weeks?

I'm just getting bogged down with all the expenses and the maintenance I wasn't expecting.

I can totally sacrifice having fish. What is your opinion?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome