The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Refilling CO2 Cylinders
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:40 PM
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
No reason to use "food grade". Industrial is just fine. Is there really even a difference other than price? Anyways...cheapest will be going to a welding shop or industrial gas supplier. Paintball shops/fields are also not a bad place if you have any in your area. Unless you want a new bottle for appearance, either buy the cheapest bottle you can even if it's all beat up and just exchange it at the store. Two reasons why I do it this way....1. You don't have to wait. Sometimes the shop can't fill your tank as soon as you walk in. They may keep your tank for a few days until they can get to it. Not sure that's a common issue but it's happened to me. 2. and biggest reason, hydro-testing. If you have your own tank and insist on it being refilled, you have to maintain the hydro-test which means you pay for that and it is common for the shop to keep your tank for a period of time because they generally only batch test. So depending on when you drop the tank off to be tested, if they have few tanks needing tested...you wait until they have enough. You could also get lucky and they are at the number they need and your tank gets tested within a day or two. I had to wait nearly 2 weeks once before I decided to just start doing trade-ins instead of keeping my tank. By trading, you always have a tank within date and even if it goes out of date while you have it, when you trade it in, they take it and just give you a good in date tank at no addition cost to you. Granted that's only something you have to worry about every 5 years, but it's still a consideration and not likely you'll buy a new tank that has the full 5 years left on the tank so at some point you'll likely need to have it tested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome