The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - A Tank Dump Of A Different Color
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:31 PM
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I always use a powerstrip. You can use one or two. I have my filter, heater, CO2 on one. Then I have my lights on another. Though this is mainly for maintenance (I can turn off my filters but keep my lights on for water changes), the idea is keep your systems that work together on the same strip. That way, if something trips, everything on that system trips.

Also, the above post is very helpful for wiring. It wasn't on my tank but in my previous home, someone put GFCI's on the same circuit. One kept tripping but it was the last outlet on a string of 4. I figured out which outlet was feeding the next and replaced them with regular outlets. I wasn't trying to solve any problems, just trying to diagnose what was making it trip and found it stopped tripping when I set it up. Probably just a faulty GFCI but point being, it was very hard to know when you wire a bunch up when they are already in series. No electrical engineer, and I am not saying it is inherently bad to run GFCI's in series but it is unnecessary, and when you do have issues, it is much harder to figure out the problem.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome