The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 120 Gallon African Tetra Aquarium
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Triport
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bit of a setback getting the tank ready. I scraped my thumb pretty deeply (enough for lots of blood) on my iMac (don't ask) so since I prefer not to do any work in my tanks whilst having open wounds I have had to wait for it to heal. It is mostly better now so I started getting everything ready.

I have been soaking the wood since I received it. Most pieces sunk right away but the smaller of the two large pieces was annoyingly floaty. I wedged a large river stone into it and that seems to have done the trick. I checked today and it is pretty water logged. From past experience though I know to leave the wood in water until I am ready to use it.

Cleaned of all my dragon stone by soaking it in a diluted bleach/water mix for a few days and then scrubbed off any old algae and gunk.

Ohko Stone (Dragon Stone) for 120 gallon by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Then I decided to start placing them in the tank with the sand to see if I have enough. The sand is leftover Natural Sand from Buceplant (larger grain size) I bought for my 100 gallon which they are out of stock on. I considered buying a box of the finer grain size they sell but I would rather not spend the money if I don't have to. Placing the stone and sand in the tank today I think I will be OK. I am creating a sort of wall between the back and front of the tank with the rocks set on the glass (because the cichlids will dig) so I can have the sand deeper in the back where the rooted plants will be an an open area in the front of the tank where the sand is very shallow. I have two half coconuts I am going to place toward the front of the tank for the various cichlids to adopt as homes in the hopes they won't do too much digging. We'll see how that goes. Probably not well. In my old 46g they all used to dig like crazy.

This is not the final layout obviously I just wanted to see if I had enough material to do what I want. Once I am ready to place the two large pieces of driftwood I will shift the rocks around a bit and try to make more of an aquascape out of things. I'm not the best at scaping though and that really isn't my focus so much. I am just happy to have healthy fish and plants that are growing well. If I accidentally make it look pretty I'll be happy.

Getting 120 gallon ready by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Getting 120 gallon ready by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Next step is to prep the water. Since I am dealing with my RO system and it makes water faster than I have room in the pressure tanks to store it I am going to have to do this over a few days. I may go to the RO place in town and buy 40 gallons on Monday to speed things up. I had asked the company I am working with to get me an estimate on a better storage system but they are short staffed and never got back to me and I have had other expenses come up with my house so I probably don't have the cash to deal with that now. So I haven't been on them to give me a quote. But I will have to eventually because soon I will have almost 400 gallons of aquariums that need water changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome