The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - A Scenario about Tanks and Filters I need help with.
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:47 PM
AbbeysDad
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Although some choose to debate this but I have often started new tanks by rinsing/cleaning the sponges from an established tank/filter in the new tank. If you were to do this in your tank with the new sponge filter, it would seed the filter right away.
Otherwise, you'd need to wait 4-6 weeks for the new filter to seed.
The size of the beneficial biology colony(ies) is relative to the food and oxygen. Since your tank is established it would take a long time to develop bacteria on a new filter (with the old filter still in place.
Now having said this, there is far more surface area on/in the substrate than in any filter, so for an established tank, it's less of an issue to replace a filter or filter media.
If I was you, I'd install the new sponge filter, rinse/clean the sponges next to the new running filter and move the old filter right away to the new tank...ensuring there is bio-load in the new tank to feed the bacteria in the old filter that's now in the new tank. :-)

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome