The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 40 Breeder Stocking Request
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:09 PM
jake21
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think this is a disaster in the making. First way too much bio load; second if the apisto pair up (you end up with m/f of each) there is going to be territory problems. I think I would get either the rummy nose or the cardinal or 8 of each instead of 15. I would also pick between the angel, agassizi or borelli and go for a pair. One advantage of the agassizi or borelli is that they are a lot smaller. The angelfish might look a bit out of place as it can be significantly larger (in my tank one of the angels is not too bad - maybe 5 or 5 1/2 but the other one is much larger - 7+ and that one would have difficulty in a 40B - while you could put 5 small angels in a 40B once they paired the others would have to be removed.
-
Also i would add a bottom scavenger - maybe 8 pygmy cory or 5 kuhli - if you go with the angel then a larger cory as it might treat the pygmy as dinner.
-
I have a pair of rams in a 29 and wouldn't dream of adding anything else that would be a target while they are spawning - the tank just isn't large enough. The 40B is a bit wider than the 29 but when I had one it just isn't enough - in my 120 the angels - after they paired up would not tolerate any other angels (they started in a group of 8); and they either killed the others or i had to remove them. They also killed a ram i had in the tank. Likewise in the 120 before the angels i tried 4 rams and after a pair formed they killed the others - just isn't enough space - the 120 is a bit larger than the 40B. My tanks are planted but that didn't help much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumnewb View Post
Hey all - currently planning a 40 breeder, moderately heavy planted tank that I have just started a DSM for. Would really appreciate your recommendations for my stocking plan... I think it is currently a little borderline but hoping the plan will work out!

Angelfish x1
Rummy nose x15
Cardinal x15
Oto x6
Apisto agassizi x2
Apisto borelli x2

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome