The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The Breeding Project: Dark Rams
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 02:19 AM
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I wonder if that's not a matter of more than simple recessive genes, then? If crossing two visual animals with the same simple recessive gene (or set of genes), you'd expect all offspring to resemble the parents. I bred corn snake mutations for a couple of decades and got pretty familiar with genetics on that scale -think back to the punnet squares from science class. My immediate thought is that the yellow (typical) rams are co-dominant themselves, or else the black individuals will show dark color even if only carrying the gene.
For example:
BB (true dark ram)
Bb (visually a dark ram, but only carries one allele)
bb (normal ram)
But in that supposition, you'd still expect all dark fry from a spawn of 2 dark individuals. This thread has taken me down a rabbit hole. Just read a 66 page topic on another forum with people discussing their breeding trials. Seems some folks are experiencing 100% black fry. Which would lead me back toward thinking it's a recessive gene with a visual heterozygous form. At any rate, I hope these make it and we get to learn more!
Hi @Blue Ridge Reef,

How about this:

bb = dark ram (two recessive genes)
bB or Bb = light ram with dark gene
BB= light ram

In theory 3/4 would be light colored and 1/4 would be dark colored.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome