The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The Breeding Project: Dark Rams ( Update: + New EBR/GBR Pairs)
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Discusluv
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Discusluv,

I too enjoy dwarf cichlids including Apistogramma and M. ramirezi. One of our local club members, Dean, has been breeding the 'black rams' for about a year now and has found out something interesting. First they are very sensitive as to water quality, since you know discus that should not be an issue. Second, unlike blue Rams, the size is of the spawn is much, much smaller. Lastly, only about 25% of the spawn are black, the remainder are light colored. I don't believe they are 'albino' per se but almost that color of pigment, it appears that the 'black' / 'dark' gene is recessive. I hope they do well for you! ( I am guessing they were a little on the 'pricey' side / I know what our member paid for his?)
Yes, pricey, but the cost was less than I have seen offered from online retailers who show pictures of extremely sub-par stock. The black color on this pair looks very, very good.

Not worried about water quality-- Im used to having to keep really good standards as far as that is concerned. Mostly just a bit concerned of there getting to me healthy and acclimating well to the aquarium.

All else Ill take as it comes. Ill definitely keep a journal up to document how the breeding project goes. But, also, just so others can see them in the aquarium, learn their behaviors, and get an idea of their care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome