The Planted Tank Forum banner

Frustrated with glue

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Quint 
#1 ·
Long time reefer and now starting planted nano.

Bought some manzanita driftwood branches and couldn't wait to start scaping. Bought a 8x10 acrylic sheet and some super glue gel (loctite and the original super glue gel). I tried my best to trim the base as level as perfect, although it's not great. Tried both dry base and lightly sprayed with water. The glue doesn't take to the acrylic and the stick just falls over. Even tried to the glass bottom of the tank and nothing.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to make sure the base/bottom of the branch is perfectly even? I don't think that's it though because I have a few sticks that are pretty spot on and still nothing. What's another option? Can I form putty around each stick and then place substrate over it?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great week.

#5 ·
Not sure for this application. Generally the longer the set time the stronger it ends up being. That being said pretty sure any of the decent two part epoxies should work fine. Application is key, good mixing, is key. If you have a 5 minute working time mix for a good solid minute and have your stuff ready to go, apply and mate up then have a way to hold it in place.

The two part applicators take the work out of mixing properly and thats the way I would go.Good ol JB weld can be a heck of an epoxy if measured, mixed, and applied properly. Gorilla and the other name brands all have good 5-15 minute epoxies at lowes or home depot which should work good for your application assuming they bond to what ever your attaching the wood.

#8 ·
#14 ·
One more coat of paint tomorrow and then will be working on the stand.
Just playing around with the scape but getting excited. Going with white sand and then river rock gravel on and around the egg crate area. Still thinking about plants.
Saw a nice school of ember tetras today and think they may have moved up the list.
Thanks again for helping out this reefer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.