The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - planning to convert to planted. Should I go all in at once or a little at a time?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
sittinglynx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Streetwise "Do you have the space to setup a second tank from scratch?" No space for a 2nd tank. "Then figure out substrate, lighting, filters, plants, livestock, etc." I have a tetra tank filtration is overkill, but I need to look into what wattage lights I got with my 55 gal starter kit. They are 4 24" LED lights and don't give off a lot of heat, but I'm sure they are just designed to be display lights. Here's my tank journal if you want to check out more ttps://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/1291299-55-gallon-up-graveyard-take-2-a.html

@sudhirr "All excellent choices of beginner plants, hardy and can adapt to different conditions. Are you planning to keep it low tech or adding CO2?
What about the lights?"

Thanks. From what I've watched and read, these plants can grow with regular LED display lights. That's what I have, but I would certainly consider upgrading the lights over time. No plans for CO2 at this point. Again, I know these won't grow like weeds without CO2, planted in gravel, with liquid fertilizers but from what I've read, & watched, these will work.

I'm just not sure if I should add one species at a time or if it's better to just get them in at once so they can all grow together. I also need to read up on testing Phosphate levels, and how to control them.

Thank you both for your responses.

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome