The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - planning to convert to planted. Should I go all in at once or a little at a time?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
sittinglynx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
planning to convert to planted. Should I go all in at once or a little at a time?

Hello my fine fish friends!

So after much thought & SOME research, I'm thinking about converting my 55 gallon (fish only) tank to the easiest plant suggestions from the aquarium channels on youtube. I had a Rainbow planted tank that I set up 10 years ago and finally pulled the plants after two years of trial and error. This was before I ever thought of using the interweb as a resource. So, after being on this forum now since Feb, I think I might try my hand at some plants that I have seen on some aquarium youtube channels as foolproof, can grow anywhere plants. These will be planted in gravel and just using the LED lights from my 55 gallon starter kit. Of course I'll need some sort of liquid fertilizer too.

Here's my list:

Italian Val for background

an Amazon Sword as the centerpiece

Dwarf Lilies in the front corners

Bacopa Carolina, Bacopa monnieri, and Lugwigia Repens in the front and middle.

My question is, should I add these slowly as to not "shock" my ecosystem (just like everything else in the hobby) or because we are dealing with roots, should I go in all at once? Shipping costs sure make me want to go in all at once, but I readily admit, I can talk freshwater fish care all day, but I will be entering "aquarium plant care" as my 2nd try & as a novice. Maybe I should start with the background plants 1st, then start with the others after they are established? I will also have to start testing Phosphate levels, something I've never done. I will buy that test kit before buying any plants to see what I'm working with, but (at present) my tank generally has high nitrates (with my stocking level nearly maxed) but everything else is very good (no ammonia, no nitrite, PH 7.5 to 7.8, KH 2-4, GH 5-8). I do add peat moss to the filtration to try and keep the PH close to 7.5 for my Cardinal Tetras.

Thank for any advise,
Tom

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome