The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Algae + nutrient deficiency help!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
nothreat33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae + nutrient deficiency help!

I'm trying to trouble shoot a nutrient deficiency right now. Symptoms effecting old leaves so I'm figuring it's either N, P or K. My aquarium is heavily stocked. And I've heard that a heavily stocked aquarium might not need to dose NO3 or PO4. I know that all depends on how many plants I have though. I just want to know if I can trust my phosphate test. Someone told me nitrates can hide out in the substrate and a standard water column test wont show them obviously. If this is true for phosphate it adds another layer of difficulty trouble shooting.

Right now I have Flourish Potassium, Flourish Comprehensive, Flourish Iron, and Flourish, Nitrogen. My nitrate test shows it's barely above 0 or basically I know it's not 0 but it's definitely not much higher.

I just started to get GDA slowly growing on my walls. I cleaned the walls did a water change and took light duration down by half. Algae did not increase in 4 days. With the plants being nutrient deficient I'd rather bring the light and co2 back up. But unless I can get this nutrient deficiency problem figured out all that light and co2 might as well go towards more algae.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome