The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Glass box rescue, share your stories
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
mrjbacon
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass box rescue, share your stories

Hey everybody, had a question or two about rehabbing a 55g tank (48"x12"x20") I saved from the clutches of the garbagemen. The tank looks like 7mm glass (could be 6mm I s'pose but I didn't measure) and has the black plastic rim with built-in center brace. Glass is in good shape, except for a fair few light to medium scratches on the bottom pane.

Anywho, the seam along the bottom is separated, and I'm planning to do a complete deconstruct and reseal. If anyone has any tips on how to remove the top rim, I would welcome your advice.

The tricky bit however is that the bottom plastic rim is broken at one corner, in two places. I have a plastic repair kit using the cyanoacrylate liquid and powdered plastic resin that should keep it together, but I wouldn't know what the strength requirements would be.

Is this something I should at least attempt with the tank in this state, or is it not worth the effort or risk? If any of you have any anecdotes to share I would love to read through them.

I have MTS

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome