The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Advice allocating $1k budget for new tank?
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:14 PM
mboley
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo View Post
fluorescent lights have two important disadvantages. They have higher operating costs than LEDs (combination of less efficient use of electricity and bulb replacement), and most importantly, aren't dimmable. With LEDs you can get fantastic controllability that really helps with viewing and algae control.
The operating cost difference is worth it in my opinion. Besides electricity, if I have to replace four $25 bulbs once per year that's $8.50 per month.

Regarding controllability, I can change bulb colors anytime, giving me superior controllability versus LEDs. No I can't dim, but I can put two pairs of bulbs on different circuits and get better dawn dusk affects. My dawn looks different that my dusk, and both look different than full intensity mid day, and they all look great and bring out the red colors in plants. That's controllability. I don't miss the ramp down to zero light, it's minor and makes no difference to the plants.

Finally, I have yet to see a LED fixture than gives full intense light coverage to an entire tank
the way a properly sized T5 fixture can without irritating spill over light.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome