The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Advice allocating $1k budget for new tank?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
For me, I'd prioritize the filter, lighting, substrate and if you're set on CO2, a good regulator - no cheaping out on regulators. Even if you're hiding it in a cabinet, it's just not something worth risking.

If you'll absolutely need a heater, consider something for your in-line unit like a temperature controller. If you don't absolutely need a heater, don't get one now - get it later if it ends up being necessary.

Filters. I'm all about saving money where you can but with a tank that size, your budget will need to be adjusted for something quality, however. Even on my cheapest tanks (where I'm not using sponge filters), I've always tried to get reliable filters with decent warranty coverage. Eheim meets my personal requirements. But a 2217 won't be large enough for a 40B. Feel free to read around on the forum but I'm confident you'll find that you'll want a larger filter or multiple filtration units.

Don't cheap out on substrate. Get something good like Aquasoil or one of the others on the market. Just do it. Get that out of the way up front and you won't regret it. I've never once regretted spending the money on good substrate.

Say no to the autodoser until you're absolutely certain what you'll need to dose, how often, that sort of thing. Don't make it an up-front purchase. Honestly, you may not ever want one if your routine ends up being something that isn't too intense. Making it a part of your regular tank maintenance will help you stick to it and feel more connected.

Leak detector - shop around for those. There are even some 'smart' options that are affordable for everyone.

Lighting. I'm partial to Current. But I'm also a big fan of high-quality LEDs that you just stick on a manual timer or smart plug. All the bells and whistles aren't always necessary - even if you're trying to automate as much as possible. I have a couple Current fixtures that have remote controls - but I didn't opt for timers or other connectivity options. In order to 'smarten' them up, I've used button pressers like the ones from SwitchBot in order to turn my lighting sequence on and off every day. You can still customize everything from intensity to color and effect.

The tank itself. I love rimless and high-clarity tanks. They're primarily what I have. I also know them to be, based on extensive experience, an extreme waste of money on occasion. Not always - but sometimes. Especially when it comes to larger tanks. Since you're open to tanks with rims, I recommend considering Deep Blue Professional. Their glass clarity is a bit better than other manufacturers and the black silicone they use ends up looking way better than clear/translucent used by other standard tank manufacturers. It just sort of disappears when you're looking at the tank. In part because their silicone work is always clean and some of the cheaper options are just an absolute mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome