The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Possible issue with Blasting sand
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 AM
Discusluv
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It appears to me that BBS is variable- as can be seen with some having items ( wire?) in bags that others do not. Due to this variability, saying it is aquarium safe in all instances appears problematic, no?

Ah, okay- wire in BBS is not an anomoly:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ting-abrasives
A review from a user"

Qoute

"Elmira NY

Review 1
Votes 21

☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆
2 out of 5 stars.
∑ 3 years ago
Too Dusty, full of lumps

We've been using the Wicked Sister 20-40 (Medium) grit in our blast room for some time now, with lots of issues, the biggest of which is dust.

This stuff has to be screened before use, as it often contains chunks and bits of wire that will plug up the nozzles. No big deal for here, we already have screens and a reclaimer system. Could be problematic for a place that doesn't blast all the time.

Secondly, this is not meant for use in a blast room. It breaks down so fast you end up with tons of dust, plugging up your dust collector and making it impossible to see what you are doing. Its meant for outdoor blasting and one-time use.

Though it is quick to remove heavy rust and stuck-on debris from the parts being blasted, the poor visibility and high maintenance of our equipment that come with using it have our shop looking for Aluminum Oxide based abrasive instead- which is said to break down much more slowly than coal slag and will perform better in a blast room.

And another:

"Bought this to use in my 110lb pressure blaster. Plugged up right away. After cleaning hoses out I noticed mixed with the grain are long strings of glass that look like sharp wire. This wire looking material is what's plugging my blaster up. Gonna take back the bags I didn't use and try the fine."

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Last edited by Discusluv; 06-03-2019 at 12:34 AM. Reason: more info

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome