The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Nitrate dosing if at 0?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
VioletAqua
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice.

In a dramatic turn of events I followed @carlsj2012 advise and shook the nitrate test kit bottles vigorously before testing again... it turns out I have high nitrate levels around 40.

This is an eye opener! I will continue monitoring but my changes going forward are as follows:
- Less fish food (I have likely been overfeeding. see below)
- 2 squirts of fertilizer after water change (down from 4. This contains nitrate)
- 2 squirts on wednesday (up from 1)
- 50% weekly water changes (up from 35)

Possible variables
- I tested 0-3 nitrate before my water change. I added 4 squirts thrive after water change and 2 days later now have read 40ppm
- Shaking the test bottles

What's the ideal nitrate level to target for a planted tank?

My fish seem to eat a lot. In 2-3 minutes they eat a large pinch of spirulina flakes + small pinch of mixed flakes + small pinch of pellets. Is this too much per feeding if feeding twice daily?

Bump: @Willcooper One area I noticed a plant deficiency was the bacopas lower leaves all died off from the bottom half of the plants. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I was thinking probably lack of lighting but have no idea.

@Carlsj2012 Thanks! It's a 55 gallon tank (48" wide)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome