The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Where do you guys buy clay?
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:14 AM
Phil Edwards
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
Do you reccomend BDBS or a CEC substrate or somethingelse?
I'm of the opinion that CEC means nothing in an enclosed glass box, but if it means something to you any calcined (kiln fired) clay product such as Turface is good. Otherwise, any 2-3mm non-coated material works just fine if you plan on primarily dosing the water column. I haven't used it myself, but lots of folks have success with BDBS so it seems to be a safe bet. If you prefer nutrients via the substrate then go with an inch or so of 50/50 calcined clay mixed with sieved organic potting soil, such as MiracleGro's Organic Choice product, capped with 2 inches of Turface. Sieving out the large chunks and capping it are essential.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome