The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Advice Requested: Plant now or wait?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:17 PM
livebearerlove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Welcome!

Im a low tech fanatic... I have done a similar situation. I was moving country to country.... therefore this is what I did when I was going to leave a new tank for 14 days on pre-move trips:
Step 1) Test the water out of your tap.... Check KH/GH/PH... consider different substrate options, etc (lower than ph6 can cause a pause in bacteria growth).
Step 2) Set up my hardscape and my substrate (usually I use eco complete below, and a layer of amazonia on top) if you have low KH, then I add some crushed coral to the filter or cuddlebone.
Step 3) Set up filter.... preferably with seeded media
Step 4) Flood the tank (no plants, no lights)
Step 5) put something dead in.... and some positive bacteria.
Step 6) Turn filter on (no lights)
........when you get back plant your heart out with a tank that will be well on its way to being cycled. Then your cycle might tank another week while planted (you can add ammonia to ensure its good to go).
Step 7) Watch your parameters kh/gh/ph/amonia/nirtites/nitrates and start your ferts.
Step 8) Add fishhies

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters

Last edited by livebearerlove; 05-08-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Forgot a word...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome