The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Advice Requested: Plant now or wait?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
SheldonC

PTrader: (0/0%)
Advice Requested: Plant now or wait?

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to having a planted tank and the aquascaping hobby in general. I have done a fair bit of research, but it always seems to get overwhelming pretty quickly, but I am pretty determined and will keep increasing my knowledge.

I decided to give it a go and bought a Juwel Rio 125 with the idea of starting a low tech planted tank. Long story short, after delays, wrong deliveries etc, I finally got my tank, equipment and hardscape. The problem is that I go away for 16 days early June, and I'm not sure whether I should go ahead with planting and filling my tank now, and take a gamble that it will still be manageable when I return, or whether I should spend the next few weeks staring at an empty tank until my return.

I was planning on a fishless cycle until all parameters are stable and ready to add some livestock in, but I guess another option could be that I just fill the tank, let it just cycle with no plants in it, cover it up to prevent light getting in so that when I get back I have some bio growth in my filter.

I appreciate any thoughts or helpful info, I'm eager to get my tank filled like the impatient man-child that I am, but I don't want to do it at the cost of the loss of a lot of plants or an algae growth that will be tough to get rid of.

Thanks in advance!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome