The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Have Kitty Litter as a Substrate? I do! *Pics
View Single Post
post #43 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:23 PM
Phil Edwards
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've used kitty litter for my personal tanks and for research in the past with success. Aside from any chemical properties it may have, it's excellent for reducing compaction when mixed with soil or fine grained sand, such as pool filter stuff. I recommend an 80/20 mix of soil/litter capped with an inch and a half of litter or a 50/50 sand/litter mix. Make sure you're getting calcined clay for the reasons Roy mentioned above.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome