The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Have Kitty Litter as a Substrate? I do! *Pics
View Single Post
post #37 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:54 PM
symstep
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @symstep,

Wow, a 2007-2012 thread...way to dig up the past!

Actually, clay substrates do have a high CEC however even Special Kitty kitty litter is a little 'soft' and breaks down after a year or so. I prefer calcined Montmorillonite clay which is 'fired' longer to make it harder so it doesn't break down as quickly. I've used several different types over the years, the one I currently use is Safe-t-sorb (STS), a 40# bag is available at Tractor Supply Company for $6.49.

Here is a 10 gallon with STS, low light ([email protected]), Ferts, no CO2 but Excel / glutaraldehyde
Hey man! Thank you for your reply. I know, it seems I am a few years late on the thread haha
Looked up using the sts and of course found you https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...y-safe.292621/

In terms of the kitty litter, A guy (dr kevin novak) claims he uses it is his denitrification baskets and has not seen any kind of breaking down in over ten years. Has this not been your experience? Possibly a different type of litter?

You mention a few types of substrate you have used with high cec, May I ask what one is your favorite and why? Would any substrate with a good cec lower the ph temporarily? In my preparation this has been a oversight. So you say it absorbing minerals and carbonates from the water until it is full, does that mean it will have less room to hold things like the ammonia ions for plants? Sorry to throw so many questions

I just want to learn. I appreciate everyone who teaches.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome