The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Several questions as a beginner in planted tanks
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
keleka11

PTrader: (0/0%)
Several questions as a beginner in planted tanks

I am emptying out my 100 gallon used to house my Arowana and converting it to a 100 gallon shrimp tank with carpet plants n stuff. I found most of my information online already but there are some that I wasn't able to find. The tank is 48"L x 20"H x 18"W with HOB filters. I plan on adding a powerhead with the outflow going into a tube that leads to a inline CO2 reactor.

1. How much flow do I need for it to push water and CO2 from one side of the tank to the other while making sure the carpet plants (Monte Carlo) get enough? I was thinking of getting a violet pipe (variant of the lily pipe that aims slightly downward) with a 300 GPH Marineland powerhead. Is 300 GPH enough to push water diagonally downward to the other side of my 48" tank? It is a shrimp tank so I don't want a fire hose battering my shrimp.

2. Because it is a 100 gallon, will I have to remove dead shrimp of can I just leave them in? I am planning on having maybe 100 red cherry shrimp, maybe more with Nerite snails. Are they able to eat the carcass or will it just stay there and rot?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome