The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 125G Planted Bow Tank
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Gillionaire
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
125G Planted Bow Tank

I have utilized this site for the past few years to expand my knowledge around the fish keeping hobby. I more recently decided to create an account so that I can interact and ask questions to the many knowledgeable members here. The information I have received here has been beyond helpful and I thank everyone here that has chipped in along the way.

I have been in the fish keeping hobby for about 4 years (started in 2016). This does not count the many failed tanks I kept when I was a kid. My adult fish keeping hobby has consisted of a 1 gallon beta tank, then started a 10 gallon classic tank (tetras, plastic plants, etc.), went to a low-tech 46 bow front (failed miserably as I didn't fertilize), 30 gallon anubias low-tech, and now a high-tech 125G planted tank.

The 125G originally started as a low-tech tank but I seemed to have horrible skills at getting anything to grow. I decided to add CO2 after a couple of months of melting plants in the hopes of making up for my handicap. At the same time I started dosing NiloCG PPS-PRO dry ferts to compensate for the increased light and CO2. My plants now seem to be doing marginally better than surviving. Definitely the best progress I have made to date.

Fish and plants are equally beautiful to me and so my main priority is keeping a tank that is enjoyable to look at. I want to avoid being discouraged by having too high of standards and getting overwhelmed with maintenance.

The first picture below is when I first set up the tank, followed by a picture of when I added CO2 and finally a recent picture with a few plant additions. There are also a couple of pictures of my rainbows.

Set-up:

Tank: Aqueon 125G 72.5" x 18.5" x 23.4"
Lighting: 2x 36” Fluval LED 3.0 Plant
Filter: 2x Fluval FX6 Canisters, 1 Eheim 2213 (surface skimming & CO2 injection)
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Fish: 20 assorted rainbows, 4 SAEs, 4 Otos
Fertilizer: NiloCG EI dry ferts

I will be posting updates as my tank progresses. Please feel free to add questions/suggestions/comments!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.9.18.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	878339  

Name:	12.3.18.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	878341  

Name:	2.23.19.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	878343  

Name:	Bows in Q.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	878345  

Name:	Baby Goyder.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	878347  

Last edited by Gillionaire; 04-30-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Changes fertilizer regime

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome