The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - New to plants and need a lot of help
View Single Post
post #70 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Quagulator
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
FWIW, You guys are awesome!! I sincerely appreciate your time and interest in helping.

Ok, let's go over the info again;

Tank 55 standard.

Light - 8 hour photo period. Beamsworks DA 6500 48"

Fert - Thrive and root tabs. Have been dosing 5 pumps=10ml the day after water change (Sunday), then same dose again on Wed. "1 pump(2ml) per 10g will add ~7ppm NO3, 1.3ppm PO4, 5ppm K, and 0.25ppm Fe" I will test my tap water for nitrates and post that value asap. If I am understanding correctly, you are suggesting a larger dose post water change 30ml, then a mid week 14ml dose? Or to convert, 15 pump and 7 pump dose on respective days. Is that correct and or dependent on my tap water nitrate results? Sorry for repeat question/confirmation, I want to get the dosing right.

Additives - Excel 25ml with water change and 5ml daily

Glad to hear that some of my plant selection has a chance.

Root tabs - Seachem Flourish. Used near all stem plants. I have patience and time to work on, prune, clean, shape, experiment.

I will definitely check out myriophyllumm...thx for the recommendation.

Journal - Makes sense to have all info in one place for all to see.

Thank you for the optimism Quag

I read your sig link as soon as I could see them. I will be all over this one as soon as I click post.
Seems like a good starting point. Because it is low tech, I don't think we need to worry about dialing in a perfect, fine tuned fert program (we can certainly strive to this in the future though! ). Instead, we can target 10-15ppm of NO3 from Thrive, and the other nutrient levels should be adequate for a low tech tank's needs when dosing Thrive at those levels. We aren't blasting your plants with high light and high CO2 so no need to blast them with fertilizers because the growth speed of your plants will not be able to actually utilize the higher fert levels and you'll simply wash them down the drain at each water change. Now, those of us that are dosing high ferts still flush tons of fert down the drain, but we need high concentrations to meet plant requirements b/c we are driving fast plant growth where as lower tech is no. That is my approach to lower tech tanks anyway, and it seems to work well.

Now, I'll save you some more money by saying ditch the Flourish tabs (well... use them up anyway) and look for some size 00 gel capsules (amazon) and some Osmocote+ Granular house plant fertilizer. Fill up the tabs with the granules of fertilizer and boom = 1000 root tabs for the price of 40 Flourish tabs. Use under any plant you feel like every 1-2 months.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome