The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - New to plants and need a lot of help
View Single Post
post #56 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Biggles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Morning Greggz,

My focus on nitrates is fish health. And previously a misconception that it had a hand in my algae issue, Quag set me strait on that. I am originally a fish only keeper and new to plants. I am under the impression nitrates above 40ppm will negatively effect fish health.

No, not trying to emulate anyone, just trying to keep under 40ppm. Pretty sure I got this information from a book about freshwater fish basics some years ago.

Your tank is purposely never below 40 ppm nitrates. So doesn't that mean it gets to about 80ppm before your weekly water change, assuming you change about %50 weekly? That seems to go against what I have read for fish health. I'm here to learn and not claiming the literature I have read is the end all be all authority. Just letting you know what I have read so you know why I think what I do.

Ha, well, I don't want to post pictures of my tank. It is nothing like the works of art I see posted here. Kidding aside, I do have a series of pictures of the same plant to show what has happened over the past Month.

Last edited by Biggles; 01-10-2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: error

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome