The Planted Tank Forum banner

Philly area stores good for planted tanks?

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  AcidGambit 
#1 ·
I like Reef to Rift for aquarium supplies and creatures, lovely store, and they stock quite a few plants, but they don’t carry much in the way of high-end plant supplies and gear, especially CO2 paraphernalia, and I have to go online.
Is there any place in SE PA or nearby Jersey that is big enough to stock niche products? More so than World Wide and the chains?

#2 ·
Good Morning Woodsman,

There are two stores that you can visit

1) The aquarium center 1468 Blackwood Clementon Rd, Clementon, NJ 0802 : Probably the best local fish store

2) The Hidden Reef : 4501 New Falls Rd, Levittown, PA 19056 : Their selection varies a lot, so you never know what you will find when you go there, but a much bigger store then Reef to Rift

#3 ·
I've only been to Reef to Rift once, and thought it was an awesome store and I look forward to visiting again in the future. That said, to your point, the only thing I actually needed when I stopped in was a decent CO2 check valve and they did not have anything along those lines.

#4 ·
Check valves are weirdly difficult to succeed with, given that they are so small with such a simple function. I have always had to cast about on Amazon and nothing I find ever works as it should for any reasonable length of time. Plastic, stainless, brass, for some reason they all leak gas or they all clog or they fail to actually check flow. I’m currently running without one, and I’m staring at spending about $40 for three tiny parts (from Clippard) with shipping to build myself a brass one that some people have had luck with.

#5 ·
I went to The Aquarium Store yesterday, and they were better stocked than R to R, but I didn't find, for instance, a number of options for CO2 diffusers/reactors, or midrange planting lights, although they stocked high-end Kessel etc. Their plant selection was less varied than R to R. Their tropical fish and inverts were fantastically varied, and really well-priced. And they actively solicit your excess fish for consignment, and I happen to have a runaway tank of platys.
Best of all, there was a remarkably good BBQ joint down the road. All in all a good expedition from Philly, so thank you very much! I will hit The Hidden Reef next.

#6 ·
Hidden Reef

I visited The Hidden Reef yesterday, and that place is enormous. They had almost everything I would be interested in as far as dry goods goes. They are selling the Eheim canister I want for a full $20 less than the best price on Amazon. I liked the manager's attitude about vetting fish suppliers for environmentally friendly practices. They had so many tanks I lost count after 50. But as you said, their livestock and plants were seriously depleted, and the manager said they order in giant waves, which are announced at their Facebook page.
Anyway, two good recommendations that totally change the Philly-metro area for me, thank you!

Reactions: Irocjr
#9 ·
Yes!! My favorite store! One of my best friends works there, he said they get shipments Monday’s and sometimes fridays, and if there’s a fish you want that they don’t always get they will order it for you. I was dying for Apisto agassizi “Fire Red” and they ordered them for me, now I have a happy pair. Their livestock is a bit pricier than competitors, but you pay for what you get. I drive 45 minutes from doylestown to get there because the staff is amazing and incredibly knowledgeable, and the owner is so nice. Can’t beat the prices for supplies either!

I visited The Hidden Reef yesterday, and that place is enormous. They had almost everything I would be interested in as far as dry goods goes. They are selling the Eheim canister I want for a full $20 less than the best price on Amazon. I liked the manager's attitude about vetting fish suppliers for environmentally friendly practices. They had so many tanks I lost count after 50. But as you said, their livestock and plants were seriously depleted, and the manager said they order in giant waves, which are announced at their Facebook page.
Anyway, two good recommendations that totally change the Philly-metro area for me, thank you!

#7 ·
No Problem!

Regarding lifestock, just as a FYI, Hidden reef does not have a live stock guarantee on their fish, and they will stand by it! I had two angelfish die on me after 24 hours, they were 25 dollar a piece. I had to fight to get 50% of my money back. Plus their live stock is a lot more price then The aquarium center

For live stock The Aquarium center > Hidden Reef.

#11 ·
Aquarium Center in Blackwood, SNJ is the best store in the region for plants, fish, shrimp, nano and rare species, and the price is good. The tanks are always clean and free of disease. The owner has run the store for 30 years and knows what he is doing.

Bump: Aquarium Center in Blackwood, SNJ is the best store in the region for plants, fish, shrimp, nano and rare species, and the price is good. The tanks are always clean and free of disease. The owner has run the store for 30 years and knows what he is doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.