The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - What makes one give up the fish keeping hobby?
View Single Post
post #70 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Thelongsnail
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
For me, it would be the amount of research and stress that I find myself getting into, as well as outside factors. Lack of experience certainly comes into play, but sometimes you don't even know what you don't know. I grew up in a house full of tanks so thought I knew all the basics at least, but had never dealt with gh/kh/ph issues as the water back home is liquid rock. Here is the opposite, and I've found it difficult working out what on earth is going on and how to fix it, and don't deal well with losing/euthanising fish.

However, in the 17 years that my mum has kept fish, I've watched her deal with the following and bounce back - any one of these would have made me quit:
- Canister filter breaking and pumping ~100 gallons of all over the floor in the middle of the night. Hundreds of pounds of cichlids lost, carpet ruined, and the concrete floor took 6 months to dry out fully
- Neighbours spraying pesticides without telling us, wiping out a large shoal of synodontis in long and stressful deaths
- Having to euthanise an entire tank of fish that had been infected with fast-moving colmnaris
- Injecting steroids into the lateral line of a large Oscar every week, as he was suffering kidney failure, only to have to euthanise in the end. We'd had him for years after he'd been surrendered to her workplace after major neglect.
This isn't by any means a comprehensive list, but I have a huge amount of respect for her dedication and knowledge, especially as she only got into the hobby because I'd been obsessed with a friend's goldfish as a kid.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome