Just chugging along. The crypt flamingo is pushing up new leaves .. barely keeping pace with the old ones that are fading away. Seemingly a constant struggle there. I'm sure it's not helped with my spotty care compared to some of the more dedicated members. Not being able to find the time to consistently keep up with the tank has led me to do some creative things to keep the tank going semi decently. Being influenced by what I've been reading, I've pieced together an amalgam of fertilizing by haphazardly doing a little of weekly front loading, somewhat daily micros, all while watching the TDS. Oh wait, did I accidentally start practicing PPS-Pro?!
Trying my best to stick to biweekly water changes, but darnit if it doesn't slip to 3 weeks without me noticing ..
Fell behind on trimming too. What--er, no, I am NOT letting it slip away again. Stems touching the top is as far as it will go! I am very happy with the hairgrass growth though. I originally was worried that it would be overrun by the monte carlo, but I constantly see them fighting to invade each other at the border. It IS a bit of maintenance, but right now I'm so thrilled at their growth that I will tolerate some more. While I am happy with the way their growth rate, I'm not sure I like the shape they have taken. I had envisioned "bands" or "streets" of different foreground plants but it's just sort of disconcerting. That middle java windelov/mossy area is also getting a little out of hand. Time to finally suck it up and do something.
After a morning of hacking away -- so much moss. And to think, I used to not even be able to grow moss! Man, what happened to all that monte carlo on the left? I guess it was so mixed up with the sprawling moss that it got all yanked out with it. This stuff just drags out whatever along with it as I'm struggling to take it out. For another big change, what's not visible is that the a major mass of moss all rode on a piece of driftwood. The driftwood is not really that pretty so not seeing it is probably a blessing. I added an extra piece and angled the original one more to try to get a cascading look on the left side. Since the wood and plants are hiding the filter intake now, I didn't need as much of the tall regular java fern so I got rid of even more of it. I'm pretty close to eliminating it altogether. It's still only there for sentimental reasons but it's sort of not working visually anymore. Brought the lobelia cardinalis back to the midground to fill up the void left by the higher angled wood. Just straight forced the issue with the hairgrass and pushed them back an inch or two. Sprinkled in monte carlo trimmings to see if they will take over the front foreground area and just rebuild the left side so that it looks a little more coherent. I'm going for a wild look with "some guidance" -- yea... that's it.