Ro/di to eliminate variables? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ro/di to eliminate variables?

Been chasing my tail for years trying to get my tank right. Hi light, ei, co2, etc. if I were to try using all rodi and supplement with gh booster, Epsom salt and baking soda would it cover all
bases? My thought is if I see obviously better growth I can narrow it down to water parameters and not lights- co2- substrate- etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Unless there is something in your tap water that is harmful, or harmful in the amount that is there, it makes no sense to remove all of the mineral content from the water, then put most of it back. It makes more sense to dilute your tap water with some percentage of RO/DI water, to reduce the amount of whatever you think is too much in the tap water. People usually do this to reduce the GH of the tap water.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Banned

My view is that most plants can be grown in most tap water parameters, in that I agree with Hoppy.

That being said, I use remineralized RO water. As you, I like to experiment and using RO water allows me to know what is in the water. It allows me to see what happens if I don't dose enough Mg, Ca .. and how much is enough. Another reason for me, is that I suspect that there is a water-softener installed somewhere, as my tap differs from city/ neighborhood values. I get high KH~14 and normal/GH~5 ( city says 15). It also helps that I have a nano . The main 'improvement' was that I could inject a lower quantity of CO2 to get the same results. Another potential one, would be keeping CRS and other animals that prefer soft water.

The ingredients you listed seem to cover what you need. Maybe also look for CaSO4
Another thing to consider is that if your tap water source/ quality is constant... you can probably experiment with the other parameters without problems ( as the results would be comparable ). So if you increase CO2 and see an increase in plant health then it is clearly coming from CO2 not from base water param. In my experience CO2 and water circulation are more important than using remineralized RO as far as plants are concerned.

On hiatus till later this year

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm not sure that I enjoy doing these experiments! I do like the challenge I suppose. I fully understand that most people have no issues with tap and that it doesn't make sense to just add what I need back. Especially considering from the rest I have done my water is great. It's the test I haven't done that concerns me. Lead, fluoride, copper, etc. If your telling me to just try maybe a 50/50 mix I will. I have enough of everything I could afford it. I just like the idea of eliminating all of whatever I could have in the tank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-guy View Post
I'm not sure that I enjoy doing these experiments! I do like the challenge I suppose. I fully understand that most people have no issues with tap and that it doesn't make sense to just add what I need back. Especially considering from the rest I have done my water is great. It's the test I haven't done that concerns me. Lead, fluoride, copper, etc. If your telling me to just try maybe a 50/50 mix I will. I have enough of everything I could afford it. I just like the idea of eliminating all of whatever I could have in the tank.
That isn't the wrong way to approach this. It will work. It is your aquarium, so you can try whatever you want to try (assuming a significant other doesn't run you out of the house for trying something!) It is a good idea to have some idea about what alternatives there are, but that doesn't mean your idea isn't the best idea.

Hoppy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ha ^ this guy. While I got your knowledgable eyes on my post, something that I have recently noticed is that often times when I receive new stem plants they do well. At least grow and look acceptable. When I cut them in half and replant the tops often times both ends melt. I just have some moneywort do this which started growing well once it got acclimated to my tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode