Do I really need KH2PO4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Do I really need KH2PO4

I dose .25 tsp K2SO4 and .5 tsp KNO3 3x's weekly and am just wondering if its necessary to dose the .125 tsp KH2PO4 with the others I do now?

I have pretty hard water from the tap and change 50% a week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Well, what's the P level of your water? That's what you would be cutting out of your regimen.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I really dont know. I was just freshining up on dosing because of a deficiency I am having and re read the dosing sticky. While doing that I found out that every thing I dose already has P in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Well, what's the P level of your water? That's what you would be cutting out of your regimen.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you sure of that? What else are you dosing? Everything usually has potassium (K) but phosphorous (P) is not as common although it is used in other buffers and water treatments.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

KNO3
K2SO4
Plantex CSM+B
KH2PO4

This is what got me thinking about it.

"Tank's (1)
20~40gal
+/-1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week - raises K by X ppm, N by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek - raises K by X ppm, P by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week - raises K by X ppm
+/-5ml Trace 3x a week - unknown
+/-1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week - raises Fe by X ppm
"

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Phosphates are essential for plant growth, and do no harm, even when dosed at 4 times the recommended dosages. It just makes good sense to dose phosphates. If the plants don't get phosphates, they don't grow.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
KNO3
K2SO4
Plantex CSM+B
KH2PO4

This is what got me thinking about it.

"Tank's (1)
20~40gal
+/-1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week - raises K by X ppm, N by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek - raises K by X ppm, P by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week - raises K by X ppm
+/-5ml Trace 3x a week - unknown
+/-1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week - raises Fe by X ppm
"
I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that all of your fertilizers contain P. Even in your own calculations there, KH2PO4 is the only thing that raised P by Y ppm. I think you got confused there, somehow.

Phosphorus is a required element in photosynthesis. That's why it's one of the macros, instead of a micro. Don't cut it out unless you are absolutely sure that you have an excess of P in your tap water.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Wow, totally see what you are saying I saw K and thought I saw a P...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I knew you'd get it.

The only thing I sometimes don't dose is KNO3, because the amount of K is negligible, and really it's all about the N, so when I have a high bioload (meaning slightly overstocked) and the tank is in full swing, I usually leave it out. Poop usually takes care of that.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am kinda grasping at straws here because of that deficency I posted a ling to. It is mind boggling. The only thing I could think of is maybe an overdose of SOMETHING causing a bad reaction with SOMETHING else.

Im with you on the K. On Mondays I dose .5 tsp, Wednesday .25 tsp and Friday .125 tsp. Since it builds every day from feedings and poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
I knew you'd get it.

The only thing I sometimes don't dose is KNO3, because the amount of K is negligible, and really it's all about the N, so when I have a high bioload (meaning slightly overstocked) and the tank is in full swing, I usually leave it out. Poop usually takes care of that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode