Thrive - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thrive

Zamzows Thrive

I've been wondering about using this product for my aquarium. Zamzows is famous for their "no chemical" products. Basically all natural. I've used this product many times on my landscape, for trees, shrubs, grass, the garden.. it's a very fine product for those applications. I'm not too sure how it would do for the aquarium environment.... thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is what one of their web pages says about it.

Quote:
Versatile – One product to feed all of your plants Complete Nutrition – Balanced so one mineral doesn’t overwhelm another Non-leaching – Save-A-Tree™ stays where you put it, so ground water is unaffected Non-toxic – Safe for kids and pets! Free of dangerous heavy metals like lead or arsenic Non-staining – Will not stain sidewalks or fences

Product Highlights: Easy to use 3 step application Increases the minerals and micro-nutrients in the soil Increases the flavor of fruits and vegetables. Bio-activates the soil Product Size: 1 gallon 6 in. x 11.5 in.

Directions: Measure concentrate. Dilute with appropriate amount of water. Spread evenly on the ground around the plant ---water thoroughly. Trees: (Per inch of trunk diameter) 1 cup of Zamzows Thrive + 1 gallon water. Apply mixture to the ground around the tree from the trunk to drip line or the furthest extent of the tree limbs.

Shrubs and Roses: (Per 2 feet of plant height) cup of Zamzows Thrive + 1 gallon of water. Apply evenly around each plant. Vegetable and Ground Covers: (Per 20 Feet) cup of Zamzows Thrive + 1 gallon of water. Apply evenly and repeat monthly throughout growing season.

House Plants: Each time you water, 1 Tbsp. of Zamzows Thrive + 1 gallon of water. Lawns: (Per 1000 sq. ft.) 2 gallons of Zamzows Thrive + 6 gallons of water. Apply evenly; may be applied any time of the year. November is ideal.

Ingredients: Derived from Ammonium Hydroxide, Elemental Sulfur, Rock Phosphate, Molasses, and/or Cheese Whey, Plus assorted plant extracts reacted and fermented to form a true colloidal fertilizer. *This product easily complies with all the regulations regarding heavy metals.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Algae Grower

Unless you know what is in this product DO NOT USE IT. Fertilizers designed for trees and shrubs can have a high ammonium/urea content. Also they may have high copper which would be bad if you have shrimp.

If you can find a fertilizer breakdown then we can make a better decision. I could not find one on the their website.

As a side note, that website description is so full of fluff you could make a nice pillow out of it. Seriously, comparing chemical fertilizer with sugar makes no sense.

Edit: just noticed what you posted. Ammonium Hyrdroxide = DO NOT USE THIS!!!!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wouldn't ammonium hyrdroxide be converted into nitrite then nitrate and be used as plant food?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

Yes, but when you dosed the tank the ammonium would start burning the fish gills right away, and while you are waiting for the bacteria to work, your fish are suffering. When your fish release ammonia, it is a more gradual release, allowing the bacteria to work. Seriously, unless you can find out what is in this product, DO NOT USE IT!!!. You do know what they have put in this product.

Edit: Actually, to answer your question directly, the plants will start using it as ammonia. The reason that people with planted tanks do not dose ammonia is because of the fish, not the plants. The plants would love it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Heh, yeah I am also talking about very minuscule doses as well, considering they say to add a teaspoon to a gallon of water to water houseplants. I'm think to every 30 gallons of water. But yes, finding out what is in it is a must. One would thik that an msds or something like that would be required.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode