High PH problems need help!! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
High PH problems need help!!

Hello everyone I am new to the site.
I have 130 gallon fully planted tank with tetras and rainbows and fluval Fx6. Recently the my water company has raised the PH level in Tap water up 8.8. So I went ahead and purchased a RO system and installed last night. Well out of RO system my GH and Kh are both around 2-3 dkh and my PH only came down to 8.4. I do not want to add PH down unless I absolutely have too. But I'm looking for help to lower to around 7.2-7.4. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
try a bag of peat moss in the filter.you can get peat pellets made specifically for this,but the moss works very well IME.it'll soften and lower the ph,though it might give the water a tea color.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A GH of 2dGH means that just the hardness elements (Ca++, Mg++) have a concentration in your RO output of around 45 ppm. Either your tap water has an extremely high TDS, the RO unit is faulty, or there is some error with the installation.

Consult with the RO manufacturer before doing anything else.

Feel free to edit.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry for the bad info. I just now took a water test of my RO system and the GH and KH are both at 0.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should double check the pH from the RO unit. It should be closer to 5.6 pH. Do you have a TDS meter?

Feel free to edit.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unfortunately I do not have a TDS meter. And I just check it again and it is still at 8.4. I thought for sure since the RO strips the water down it would let the PH fall also but it has yet to happen. I have also flushed my RO 8 times in the last 24 hours to see if that would even help and it did not.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From here, I would purchase a TDS meter. It will help to determine what is happening. If you want to be sure that everything is being stripped from the water, also try to purchase an addon to your RO unit that will allow the use of DI resin.

But get the TDS meter first, because if the TDS is high from your RO unit, the DI resin will be used very quickly and push the cost of running the system up.

Feel free to edit.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What does a DI actually do?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you tried letting your water sit over night before testing ph, if there is any dissolved gases it could affect ph as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am in the process of doing that tonight. But will gases really keep my PH level that high?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower

High PH problems need help!!

You should really have a tds monitor to properly diagnose any issues with your membrane.

If the PH is higher then it once was then it's possible the performance of your r/o membrane is not putting out a nice low tds anymore.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyattexas View Post
What does a DI actually do?
A new RO membrane should be expected to have a performance around 96% or better. In other words, it strips 96% of the inorganic ions from the water.

DI resin will strip 100% of inorganic ions from the water using a different process then the RO membrane. The issue with DI resin is that it can only strip so much from the water, and then it's useless. By using an RO membrane first, you reduce the workload on the DI resin and increase it's lifespan considerably.
WaterGuy82 and WaterGuy82 like this.

Feel free to edit.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Water guy: thank you and I agree totally I plan on going out tomorrow to find a TDS meter. The RO system is brand new and was installed yesterday, Ph out of my facet is 8.8 and out of RO system is only down to 8.4.

Can you tell me where I could possibly find one these meters?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Audio nut: thank you for the explanation, but my question is would that 4% really keep my ph up that high?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I knows in a pool system you can add murradic acid to it lower the ph, can you do that same thing to water that would be added to the aquarium to lower the ph? Just curious

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode