Huge boost in growth!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Huge boost in growth!!

Unsure how many people in this worderful forum site are familiar with the product "SuperThrive" used as a plant fert. additive and in hydroponic systems. I spend a lot of time working in a greenhouse and with hydroponic and aeroponic systems and SuperThrive really speeds the growth of our tomatos and herbs in the hydroponics systems when added with an additional fert. So one day i had the idea of adding small doeses to a planted tank i had without fish in it and WOW! I mixed it with a smaller than normal dose of seachem flourish and gradually raised doses of the superthrive to the flourish. There seemed to be a small spike in algea but I'm doing some research to see if it will harm fish. I'm currently tearing down and rescaping my mess of plants. I've trimmed many back and planted quite a few cutting and moved my fish to an unplanted tank once used for breeding. Once cuttings take root i will begin the rescape! So until then its watch and wait. And the superthrive seems to be speeding my process exponentially! Hopefully i can determine if there are any negative outcomes on fish without actually testing it on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh and there seems to be no change in water chemistry. I have soft slightly acidic water around here and the use of certains stones in my aquarium drop the pH slightly more to just where i want it
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this product interests me but i am very skeptical (it's my nature) anyways i see you work in a greenhouse can you obtain the MSDS sheet for this product.

also you mention your using a certain rock that reduces the Ph, what is this rock. being a geologist i cant think of any rock that will reduce Ph with out releasing toxins.

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Currently, no MSDS is avaible for superthrive because it does not contain any "harmful" chemicals as defined by OSHA.
Just yesterday i rescaped my tank and added a few fish from my old one and i added 1.25 ml of fhourish and 1/4 teaspoon of superthrive (directed dose for 1 gal i believe) so far so good. The fish are healthy other than the recent stress of constant moving. In the tank i have one powder dwarf gourami, 3 otos, and 8 gost shrimp. Ill be adding my cherries and other fish later. If anything in the tank were to be affected i beleive the shrimp would be the first to be damaged because the product contains a small amount of NAA. (i believe that is the abbreviation) It is consider to be a pesticide but only contains trace amounts of the chemical and so far i have seen nothing wrong with my shrimp. They seem to love the new tank.

I will post my dosing schedule for the last 4 weeks (before rescape) later and i will also update on my current tank and its affects. My plants are doing wonderfully and since the rescape ive seen little algae.

As for the rock i have no idea but i have been using them for about a year and they seem to lower the pH just slightly. From about 7 to around 6.5 to 6.3 so i am pleased with the results as thats where i like to keep my pH at. I'v never seen any odd behavior after the addition of the rock from any of my little buddies so i assume if it is leaching toxins, they are either being filtered out very well or they have little impact on the tank.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
It is believed to be fermented alfalfa meal and nothing more. It is used by some "off the grid" hydroponics growers to make there "stuff" "better". The rest of the free world thinks it is crap. Expensive crap.

Doubt it will harm your fish, but you'll never know because they won't tell you what is in it.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (53/100%)
Quote:
and the use of certains stones in my aquarium drop the pH slightly more to just where i want it
I'm Really wanting to know about these rocks !! Do you have close up pics of them or any info ?? Or better still you can send them to me & I will inspect them @ my leisure!! ...maybe even try em' out!

Algae Architect....Yes! I have Algae, but it's all very tasteful...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMichaels View Post
Oh and there seems to be no change in water chemistry. I have soft slightly acidic water around here and the use of certains stones in my aquarium drop the pH slightly more to just where i want it
Are they magic? Um... I have heard of many rocks that RAISE ph, but lower, I thinks not.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My guess is that it is the consumption of GH and KH that is causing the lowering of pH. NOT a rock.

Actually, I would BET on this. Hell, I'll pay for testing to prove otherwise if you ship it to me. How bout a pic, at minimum.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes i can provide some pics... tomorrow lol. And over stocked could be right im just basing this off my experience when adding the rock = what happens to the water chemistry. Im no geologist but i can tell you that superthrive works quite well, specially when added to hydroponics systems. I work and take classes in a greenhouse and we've done all kinds of experiments, test, and result recording/ comparisons with pesticides, ferts, and such, and from first hand experience i can tell you superthrive does work, and quite well, even if it is fermented alfalfa meal. Until you have used the product for yourself I'd appreciate it if you expressed your dislike as an oppinion rather than being so definitive. What works for others... right? And it's worked quite well for me, collegues, and classmates. And if you contact the vitiman institute they are recquired by law to tell you every major chemical component of the product. It is required by law that all pesticides, fertilizers, and general additives that are (a) being introduced to the environment (b) being handled by workers (say greenhouse employees perhaps) and (c) are used in the production of consumable crops, MUST have all chemicals avaible for public knowledge. so now that everyone is clear on that, back to the rock situation.

It may be true that the decrease in pH may be caused by the increased consumption of KH and GH, as i said i am no geogolist nor is my experience quite as extensive as other hobbies such as horticulture. Also it could raise the pH but also be releasing toxins as well but either the toxins aren't as dangerous to the hardy species of fish i keep or maybe the filter does it's job quite well. Either way, back to that old saying, "what works for others." I will do my best to have a picture up after i get off from work and school.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
This stuff has been around forever. lol

Back in the late 60's in school I used the product in a report on plant growth. Side-by-side comparisons of growth using about 6 different commercial products. It actually did produce the tallest plants but they were all leggy looking. I didn't take it any further than visual comparison though.

SteveU
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In our green house thats what we have done. I have documented photos showing growth patterns in plants ill will upload later. Sorry guys, i haven't gotten the chance to upload pictures of the rocks yet. buit i will be doing some updates soon when i dont have so much going on between work and school. I also intend to post pictures and create a tank "diary" for my new nano and my 20g long i just spent a weekend rescaping. Also using superthrive more frequently and no harm has come to the fish or shrimp at all! I am very pleased with my results.
BTW to keep the plants from getting very leggy, you can simply "pinch" it off right above a node. it will help the plants become fuller and will promote growth
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
Without knowing more, I would be wary. A lot of plant products are EPA approved without be FDA approved, and therefore, they may be harmful to animals (HARTZ flee medicine being a good example).

There's no basement in the alamo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes i realize this, and i dont believe superthrize is FDA approved but i dont know this for a fact. either way it seems to have no impact on the fish and inverts thus far. inverts being just ghost shrimp and an apple snail. Although there have been a few mysterious dissappearances lately, but i believe this to be caused by my new addition to the tank!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I thought it was mainly B Vitamin product. I do use this in my gardening. It is amazing. I've bought plants back from the very edge with it. Don't know about the fish tank. It does say it has metals in it....

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

from what i hear from my professor, there are no more metals in the product than you would find in tap water whith a high metal content. I beleive that you can neutralize these metals easily enough if that is a concern to you. Based on my personal expereince with adding this product to the tank, i have experienced no problems what so ever and i am more than pleased with the results

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode