How to remove Chlorine without chemicals? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to remove Chlorine without chemicals?

I just read the label of the Prime bottle I have been using for a year, it says that in addition of removing Chlorine and Chloramine it also detoxifies Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate for 48h. Naturally I want those in my water. Reading on the net I learnt I can off gas Chlorine in 24h but not Chloramine. My water report states I have 2ppm of free Chlorine and 11ppm of Chloride.

What is free Chlorine and can I off gas it?

What is Chloride and do I need to remove it?

A side note: Dealing with chlorine and chloramine | The Skeptical Aquarist
If I am reading this article correct, it suggests that Chloramine is not actually a bad thing in our tanks, and even may be beneficial in the right levels. Thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aesthetic and other Parameters.png
Views:	126
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	582385  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Leave your water outside in the sun for a few days. It should then be safe to use.

The combination of sun and gassing off of chlorine = no more chlorine.

This is why chloramine is now popular.. it remains effective for much longer than chlorine when water is exposed to sun and air.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers, does it need full sun? I can only get a few hours of sun in my yard each day

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A few hours should be fine. Guys who keep $$$ shrimp are known to age water for a full week outside in the sun.

Edit: How is it even possible only to get a few hours sun in Darwin, Australia? Isn't this the tropics?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, ill try 2 days and see what happens, I don't want to kill my Darwin algae shrimp.

Yeah, but the new house I live in has virtually no yard, so the sun has a small gap between the roof and the fence. This allows direct sun through for roughly 4 hours in the morning.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I see. 4 hours is enough I think. That's a good amount.

If you can add an airstone to assist with gassing off chlorine. This can also prevent mosquitos etc moving in, although they do make good fish food.. The strong surface agitation can inhibit them laying eggs in the water. Not a 'cure', just prevention.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Darwin algae shrimp hey? How does your local variety go at managing algae? Any chance of a pic?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Chloramine does not break down so fast. If you left the water standing for a week with a bubbler or small fountain pump, this might allow the chloramine to break down and the components (chlorine and ammonia) to off gas.

My tap water generally has 1 ppm ammonia and 1 ppm chlorine from chloramine.
I have topped off tanks with tap water and no dechlorinator. The fish seem just fine. Top off is never as much as 10%.
When I do larger additions of tap water (water change, for example) I will use dechlorinator.
I have read that very low levels may not be harmful, might even do some good. I don't know. I think by the time it is so diluted not to harm the fish it probably is not very harmful to anything else.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight shooter View Post
Darwin algae shrimp hey? How does your local variety go at managing algae? Any chance of a pic?
AQUAGREEN Fact Sheet

Feel free to edit.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What I wouldn't give to have Aquagreen where I am!! You are SO LUCKY to have access to many native Australian fish.

Have any hobbyists in Australia had luck breeding DAE shrimp?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

They are great, they spend all day happily munching away. I had 50 in my tank until the Pictus catfish realised they are tasty. Within 2 days I had 5 shrimp and one very fat catfish. I also just got some local Red Nose Shrimp which are great because they are a dollar a dozen, literally $1 for 12 at my local LFS. I have heard they will chew on plants if not getting enough greens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I have read that very low levels may not be harmful, might even do some good. I don't know. I think by the time it is so diluted not to harm the fish it probably is not very harmful to anything else.

Thanks, I have always avoided top offs because I was afraid of Chlorine, I will start topping off from the tap now. Is Chloramine written as Chloramine on the Water Report or do they just write Chlorine?

I'm thinking to try start at 2 days off gassing with a bubbler for my weekly 60% WC then slowly reduce it over a few months to straight from the tap and see what happens.

Quote:
What I wouldn't give to have Aquagreen where I am!! You are SO LUCKY to have access to many native Australian fish.

Have any hobbyists in Australia had luck breeding DAE shrimp?

Thanks, Dave from Aquagreen was really helpful when I was learning to grow plants. His fact sheets are also have good info on how to keep and propagate the plants I find while out fishing. If you are in Aus he takes orders and will ship them around the country.

These are the types of shrimp I have, I did not take these photos, I don't know how to take Macro Aquarium shots yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RNS.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	582633  

Name:	DAS.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	582641  

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

adult fish will likely not be bothered too much.
If I don't remove Chlorine, my fish fry just hang around the bottom of the tank for a day, looking unhappy, and the snails climb out of the water and sit in a ring above the waterline.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:05 AM
Planted Member

A good charcoal filter will do it.

Think about it, that's all a brita filter is.

Activated charcoal at 1 tsp per gallon in a DIY filter like this
Not sure how long it would take but in my experience I have set up 10 gallon tanks with straight tap water with a good dose of activated charcoal in the filter overnight and test 0 for chlorine and chlorimines by morning with way less charcoal than you could fit in the filter that is in the link.

Aren't we all just living in a giant fish bowl?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:07 AM
Algae Grower

activated carbon

hello,
i use a small power liquid filter in a bucket, with 2 tsp of activated carbon per 5 gallons of water for about 30 minutes, and i use that water for my old shrimp tank, no problems ever. now i'm using seachem prime just because it is a faster method, also, no problem at all.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Excellent photography, thanks for sharing. I'm not an Aussie unfortunately so no Aquagreen for me..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode