Yet another deficiency topic - - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yet another deficiency topic -

I have been struggling with some of my stem plants. In particular my problem is with my rotala indic 'colorata'. In the past i have had lush bushes of this plant but in my current setup it seems to be unhappy. The tank is a 45p, aquasoil amazonia substrate, pressurized c02 delivered with inline diffusor with the addition of a reactor chamber following it in the filter loop, which is ran by a 2213 eheim. Lighting is supplied by one finnex Ray2 combined with a planted+ 24/7 thats set at about half power, both are sitting about 5-6" above the water surface. I was originally dosing EI but was getting lots of stunted growth after my/plant mass increased. Recently I have switched over to simply dosing ADA Brighty K LIGHTS with iron dosed seperately. Im getting great growth in everything except the rotala colorata. I run my c02 24 hours a day... which i have heard isnt bad but ive also read about low 02 levels leading to poor uptake of c02. Is running my c02 24 hours a day preventing enough oxygen from getting into the water? The plant mass in the tank is likely considered on the high end, im thinking the colorat, which is right in the middle, may not be getting enough c02. The filter output is aimed to move the saturated water right over all the stems. There is an eheim skimmer in the tank to provide flow and keep the surface crystal clear of film. Here is a rough shot of stunted branch, you can see it on the left and healthy growth on the right.

here you can see the patch of stems that isnt doing well. the rotala green, didipis diandra and even my macrandra mini are growing better currently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Is that Rotala "Green"? If so, the leaves are curling upward which is an indication of toxicity. It should curl down like "colorata" and other R. rotundifolia varieties. The stunted tip is another indication of toxicity, as is the algae on the leaves.

When you dosed EI, what did you use for traces and how much?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Is that Rotala "Green"? If so, the leaves are curling upward which is an indication of toxicity. It should curl down like "colorata" and other R. rotundifolia varieties. The stunted tip is another indication of toxicity, as is the algae on the leaves.

When you dosed EI, what did you use for traces and how much?
I have read the recent topics in regards to toxicity and i was very curious if thats what i was encountering. When I dosed EI i would use csm+b, dosing it as a mixed solution. I do admit i was dosing more than I should have been while also dosing iron seperately. Big mistake, i had severe stunted growth on everything.

I switched to only dosing macros for a week, and then i started dosing just 1ml of my micro solution three times a week. I started to get better growth, and then i switched to the brighty K lights.

The tank technically hasnt been cold-turkey off micro ferts ever before...

Since switching the the Brighty K LIGHTS i have only been dosing about 0.5-0.75ml of iron three times a week. Im wondering if the traces in this mix are still contributing to a potential toxicity issue.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-28-2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
1ml x3 on a 45p sounds like a lot. 0.5-0.75ml of iron also sounds like a lot.

The excess metals probably adsorbed onto the high CEC substrate so even after not dosing, the substrate will still provide plants with them. If the metals are imbalanced or excessive, then the substrate could be considered toxic. This is one of the problems with excessive dosing of an unbalanced trace metal nutrient fertilizer.

My substrate, Floramax (also high CEC), became toxic as a result of excessive CSM+B dosing. I'm now doing various substrate tests to confirm and on how to remove the metals from the substrate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode