Does this sound good? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does this sound good?

Okay, I'm still kinda knew to fertilizing, and I'm trying to learn all about it as much as I can. I'm going to be dosing with dry ferts, for a 29 gallon medium/high light with either pressurized CO2 or DIY haven't decided. Now, I plan on having primarily these plants

Riccia (crystalwort)
Cabomba (Cabomba caroliniana )
Pearlweed (Hemianthus micranthemoides )
Blood Stargrass (Didiplis diandra )
Ambulia (Limnophila aquaticum )
water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis )
Ancharis (Egeria densa ) (maybe)
Flame Moss (attached to driftwood)

and maybe a few others that I'm more familiar with...

Here is my fertilizing regime for it

20%-25% WC once a week
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week

Does this sound godd, I'm going to go EI on this....am I missing anything, I heard I would only have to dose extra Fe if I had plants that were redder in color, and required it. Would anybody reccomend anything?

Also, if I bought a 1lb bag of all of this, how long would that last me? a few months? maybe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
This is what I do on my 29gal (it's the most recommended doses)

Sunday - 50% water change. Add Add 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/16 tsp K2SO4, 1/2 tsp GH Booster
Monday - Add 1/16 tsp CSM+B
Tuesday - Add Add 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/16 tsp K2SO4
Wednesday - Add 1/16 tsp CSM+B
Thursday - Add Add 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/16 tsp K2SO4
Friday - Add 1/16 tsp CSM+B
Saturday - Rest day

I'd really recommend doing the full 50% water change if you go with the EI method as you need to remove the extra ferts from the tank before adding the new ones. If you are deadset against the WC's then I'd go with the PPS-Pro system.

- Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
That does sound good, i will do the 50% WC every week.
KNO3
KH2PO4
K2SO4
GH Booster
CSM+P

What exacly is GH Bosster, and CSM+P? Oh, i went looking around and found some Liquid Iron Supplement in my cubby :-), Here are the stats...
For every 5ml I put in 10 US gallons, it will provide 0.3 mg/L og iron. So if I put 15ml into my 29 gallon, would I be getting alot of Iron. it also contains trace elements of other stuff, such as a small ammount of Nitrogen, Zinc, Copper, boron, MG. Would it be safe to use this on my plants once just to see if their is any improvment? or is it to dangerous?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
The CSM+B is a dry micro fert you could replace that with pfertz.com's "M" product or Seachems 'Flourish' for the same results if you want.

I think of GH Booster as an extra little fert kick after the 50% WC it adds just a bit of everything to the tank or on low level tanks I use just it once a week after the WC instead of all the other ferts for a hi-tech tank. The one I use is greenleafs "Ultimate GH Booster" as it also has iron so you wouldn't need to add extra unless you have something that really needs it and I've found that all of the red's I've kept hasn't needed that much.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode