I'm clueless when it comes to ferts... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm clueless when it comes to ferts...

I've had aquariums for about a year and a half now and I've done pretty well in the fish aspect of it but remain clueless in respect to the plants portion of fish keeping. I've had plants in my tanks in the past but they always died because I never took the time to research plants.

I now want to have a real planted tank with plants who actually look good. I plan to have an old aquasoil base to the substrate plus a couple inches of sand. I plan on having dwarf sagittaria in the foreground as a carpet plant and to have some kind of taller simple plant in the background. From the reading I've done, I know that I'll need to dose ferts but I have no idea what this would entail. I also know that the amount and type of ferts I dose will depend on the light I use. I have a 30 inch national geographic freshwater aquarium led light. Will this work for dwarf sagittaria? I don't know what the Par of the light is. Also, what would I have to do to dose ferts? Would it be as simple as buying some product and pouring it in the tank every x number of days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you want a simple relatively concise explanation of one of the easier methods google "sudeep mandal low tech planted tank" and click the first result. This hobby requires planning and research. Here is a very simple primer:

Planted tanks require CO2, light, and fertilisers. Getting your lighting right is tricky and you should consider posting in the sub forums specific to it. Light drives plant consumption of fertilizers.
CO2 is out of your control without a $200+ investment.
Fertilizers are dosed based on different approaches. Low tech requires the least dosing and maintenance and money in general. A great place to start. Read the article I recommended googling and it will explain this method.
Google the forums and explore them, they are a good resource.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
So i would dose seachem equilibrium, potassium nitrate, and Potassium Mono Phosphate once every week or two? Also, would my LED light be considered low light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode