Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Water test results question

Just now I test my water and got the fallowing results:
  • Ammonia-0ppm
  • Nitrate-0ppm
  • Nitrite-0.12ppm
  • pH-7.4ppm

Is this possible to have 0 Nitrate and 0 ammonia? I always for get which one there should never be zero of. I checked the Ammonia test indicator by putting a drop of Ammonia in water, and it's working I got a result besides zero, but I'm not sure how to test the Nitrate indicator.

What's the cycle again. Ammonia to...Nitrate or Nitrite to...???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. If you have nitrite and no nitrate, you are not cycled.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's probably registering as not being cycled because I'm running a newly installed sponge filter during the day to reduce the surface aeration; to keep the CO2 in. And at night I run both the sponge and the power filter(that I'm taking off eventually as soon as the sponge is established and can handle the load of the whole tank). But for now I guess I will turn the power filter on and let it go, it's better having the plants suffer a little while, then having all of my fish die.

Thanks over_stock for the answer!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If you are turning off a filter, it is likely killing the bacteria in it. You are now in a non cycled tank.

BTW, what kind of sponge filter has less surface agitation that a HOB? Are you not using an air pump to power it?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

HOB's and sponges have will have the same agitation when properly fitted on the right size tank, but I have a 400 gph filter of a 20 gallon tank. The output on the filter is so strong that it creates a significant current that will overtime pull my plants from the substrate, along with class 5 rapids on the surface all day long.

When I first set up the tank I had 26 goldfish, therefore I needed the extra filtration. It was also a regular tank setup, so I wasn't worried about CO2 off gassing. But now the goldfish are in the pond and the tank has tetras and guppies with fry and it planted and scaped. If money wasn't a option I would love to get a canister.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode