DIY worm casting root tabs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY worm casting root tabs

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into making DIY root tabs since I've just recently started using API root tabs and the only store I can get them at is closing in 3 weeks. So I can buy a bunch from the store and hope they don't expire anytime soon or learn to make my own.

I have an abundance of fresh worm casting year round so I did some research and saw that people have used them before for substrates so I'm pretty sure I could use them as root tabs.

Is this safe to use? Under normal circumstances I know worm castings slowly release small amounts of micro and macro nutrients. Since the amounts are so small should I throw in some miracle-gro? Should I skip the EWC and just use miracle-gro?

Right now the only plant I have that I am using root tabs on is an Amazon sword but I will be getting more root feeders soon. My tank is just sand and gravel so have to add all nutrients myself for the root feeders.

I know topics similar to this have been covered already, I'm not asking if its OK to use the castings, I just want to see if anyone recommends adding anything to the capsule besides EWC.

*I also have plenty of bat guano. Just throwing it out there.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29g~ Guppies, Blue Pearl Shrimp & 2 Nerites
~ Amazon Sword ~ Anubias Congensis ~ Red Ludwigia
~ Duckweed ~ Dwarf Water Lettuce ~ Moneywort
~ Egeria Densa ~ Java Moss ~ Corkscrew Vals
~ Marimo Moss Ball ~ Salvinia ~Java Moss ~Pearl Weed
~ Red Sword Plant ~ Anubias Petite ~ Phoenix Moss

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode