Fert question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fert question

Hey all,

So, my main tank is an 80 gallon low-tech setup. All sword plants with a wall of Italian Val along the back (though it's not doing as well as I thought it would). My light is a Fluval Aquatic Life Freshwater Planted LED, the original version, not the 2.0. I haven't been able to find good PAR data on it. It's the one that fits a 48 inch tank. I'm pretty sure it's fairly low light, but don't quote me on it.

My question is, I got ferts in today from Green Leaf Aquariums to do the EI method on a high tech tank I will be setting up soon, and was wondering if it would be beneficial to dose these at low levels in my current tank. I do get occasional holes and yellowing of leaves on my swords. All I've been doing up until now has been dosing Flourish Comprehensive at water change once a week, and occasional Seachem Iron or Potassium if the mood strikes me. I have Excel, but didn't want to kill my vals.

I've also been having an ongoing battle with algae, but assumed it was from slow-growing plants in a low-tech tank.

Thoughts?

PS. I can't have any stem plants because it is a barb tank and my Black Ruby Barbs love eating plants.

80g Low-tech Barb tank
20g low-tech
Coming Soon! Ada 60p High tech!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have black ruby barbs in my planted tank and I haven't seen any problem at all from them eating plants. As far as I have seen they just don't eat plants at all. I suggest you try some stem plants, like rotalas or hygrophilias, just to see what happens. You can probably get a few very cheaply at the For Sale forum here.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Appreciate the input...

I had rotala, ludwigia, and others I can't remember, and they decimated them as soon as I put the Black Rubies in the tank. They even eat new anubias leaves and new sword leaves.

Prior to the black rubies, it was just oto's, cories, denison barbs, and rosy barbs and my plants did great. Then the rubies entered the scene and it was a barren plant wasteland lol

80g Low-tech Barb tank
20g low-tech

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can adjust the dosing to suit the tank.

If you have not been dosing any nitrogen, what is the NO3 doing? This is testing NO3 from fish food.

Fish food supplies reasonable amounts of N, P and most traces.
Fish food is low in C, K, Fe, Ca and Mg.

Water with GH over about 3 German degrees of hardness usually supplies enough Ca and Mg, though you could supplement with some GH booster if you want.

For a low tech tank with a reasonable fish load, the NO3 may hover or climb slowly between water changes, suggesting the plants also have enough P and most traces.
Dose K, Fe and C (Excel is fine for Vals, just do not dose the loading dose).

If the plants are removing pretty much all the NO3, then dose some N, P and traces, but you might go with a very low dose. Just enough to keep the NO3 about 10-20ppm.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You can adjust the dosing to suit the tank.

If you have not been dosing any nitrogen, what is the NO3 doing? This is testing NO3 from fish food.

Fish food supplies reasonable amounts of N, P and most traces.
Fish food is low in C, K, Fe, Ca and Mg.

Water with GH over about 3 German degrees of hardness usually supplies enough Ca and Mg, though you could supplement with some GH booster if you want.

For a low tech tank with a reasonable fish load, the NO3 may hover or climb slowly between water changes, suggesting the plants also have enough P and most traces.
Dose K, Fe and C (Excel is fine for Vals, just do not dose the loading dose).

If the plants are removing pretty much all the NO3, then dose some N, P and traces, but you might go with a very low dose. Just enough to keep the NO3 about 10-20ppm.
Thank you very much! My nitrates last time I tested were somewhere between 5-10. So, I might dose a tiny bit of that. I use remineralized RODI water with 6 dGH and 3 dKH. So, I should be fine on Ca and Mg hopefully. I'll take your advice and dose K, Fe, and Carbon...should I do so daily??

80g Low-tech Barb tank
20g low-tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode