Fert Deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fert Deficiency?

I have a hygro variety(if anyone can name what kind that would be great!) In my 46 gallon bow front tank. The leaves look a little deformed and smaller than usual. What kind of ferts or what can I do to fix it?
Light-finnex planted plus and window light
Substrate- soil capped with play sand
Filter- canister filter plus internal for more flow
Ferts- Seachem flourish and aquavitro envy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1453149923373-120882583_1453149954029.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	576993  

Name:	14531499841011808570614_1453150009495.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	577001  

Name:	14531500346421267467324_1453150051596.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	577009  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like someone has been munching on it. I have 3 angels and only the platinum one eats my hygro and swords, the other 2 don't bother. When I increase feedings it's not as bad, but I've caught him in the act a couple of times.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have never seen fish eating it only snails. And they only eat certain parts of it so I presume that only some parts are unhealthy. Would eating it make the leaves start coming out smaller?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The pics are not very clear, but from what I can tell it looks like mechanical damage.
Maybe post some clearer pics and someone else might have some advice. The swords look healthy.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What are the guaranteed analysis of the products you are using?
Plants need over a dozen elements to live.
If the products you are using do not contain all they need, or the elements are not in the right balance, then the plants won't grow.

What are the test results for the tank?
NO3, NO2, Ammonia
GH, KH, pH
any other tests you have.

Plants need:
Hydrogen, Oxygen, Carbon.
Seachem Excel is a source of carbon.

Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium.
Fish food can supply a certain amount of N and P, but is lower in K.
Even if the fish food is supplying enough N and P, you would still have to dose K.

Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur
If your tap water has a GH of at least 3 German degrees of hardness, then there might be enough Ca and Mg. If you want to dose a bit of GH booster you could. This would make sure the Ca and Mg levels are OK, just in case the tap water levels were not enough.
Fish food usually has enough S, and several fertilizers are supplied in the sulfate form. Not usually something you have to worry about.

Iron
Usually grouped with micros, but plants use more of it than the other micros, and fish food does not have very much. Even if you do not need to dose all the other micros, I would dose chelated iron.

All the other micros-
Approximately a dozen minerals that plants use in very small amounts. If overdosed they can be toxic. Fish food usually supplies enough of most of these, unless you are running a high tech tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The first one is the envy and the second is flourish. It looks like the newer leaves on the plants are coming in better. I plan on ordering micro and macro ferts from NilocG pretty soon. If I dose pps, I don't have to do anything in the way of co2? Just lower the dosing recommendations?
I can test the water tonight when I get home.
-Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1453202308416-1321939111_1453202347621.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	577737  

Name:	1453202379155-493166067_1453202403448.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	577745  

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

First product looks more like a vitamin supplement for animals/humans, not a plant product. These materials need to be broken down to their elements, or at least much smaller molecules before the plants can take them in.
This may be happening in your tank, if it has been set up long enough. Decomposer organisms might be breaking down those amino acids and vitamins into something the plants can take in.

Second product is Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. It is a reasonable supply of micros (if you do not mind paying for water) but has very low levels of the macro nutrients- N, P, K.

I would give up on the first product, and get the ferts from nilocg sooner rather than waiting.

The Hygro might be a variety of H. polysperma called 'Sunset'. When well grown the veins turn pink.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The first product has had some effect on the plants but not ennough to be worth buying it. The tank is dirted and is about a year and a half old. How long does it take for the nutrients in the soil to be used up? I have a dwarf sag "carpet" in the front of the tank and the plants aren't as lush and thriving ass they used to be, but the other random dear sags are doing fine and sending out runners.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is probably the limit for the nutrients in the soil.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oops pardon the inappropriate world in my last post! Did not see that!!
Ok I will get some root tabs sometime.
And I assume it takes longer for stem plants to exhaust the soil?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, as always, the answer is 'depends'.

A year is pretty good for average growth rate, reasonably rich soil to start with.

Faster growing plants, (higher light, more carbon) or poorer soil to start with would give up sooner.

Some plants may be a bit better at taking in some nutrients, and will keep on finding just a few more molecules of whatever is in shortest supply.

Not all the nutrients in the soil give out at the same time. Each soil is different, and has different amounts of each of the elements that plants need.

Supplementing with fish food (N, P, most traces) and other ferts can lengthen the time the plants can do well in the soil.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimately some one element is in the shortest supply. If it is present at all, it is locked up in a way the plants cannot get it. It does not matter if all the other elements are available. Plants cannot substitute and use another element when the one they need is not available.
The plants will start showing deficiencies.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think this summer I will switch out the substrate with new soil and different sand. Any recommendations on how to do this?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode