2Likes
  • 2 Post By nilocg
  • 2 Post By Audionut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Should I dose iron?

Hello. I have a 20 gallon long low tech tank. Lighting is a Finnex Stingray. Substrate is inert sand with Seachem root tabs. I dose following this guide, which includes Seachem Equilibrium, KNO3, and KH2PO4. I am not using any CO2 or Excel.

I recently added a few stems of Mayaca, and I read that they require a lot of iron. Do you think they will get enough iron with what I am currently dosing? If I need to start adding iron, what do you guys suggest? I looked on this website, and there are three different options. Thanks for any help.

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Last edited by hachi; 01-13-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would hold off on dosing iron if your plants are fine without it. If not, get the 10%. I personally don't have any experience with the other 2. But 10% works for me.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
It doesn't look like you are dosing any micros, adding a product such as CSM+B with give you all the necessary micronutrients including plenty of iron

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Seachem. Flourish Tabs

Seachem tabs have traces. You might want a little more iron, but do not increase the other traces. You could add Seachem Flourish Iron, if you want a liquid, or look into the chelated irons that are available dry. There are 2 that are fairly common, one does best with lower pH, the other at about neutral pH.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
It doesn't look like you are dosing any micros, adding a product such as CSM+B with give you all the necessary micronutrients including plenty of iron
The root tabs and Equilibrium both have some iron. I just don't know if it is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Seachem. Flourish Tabs

Seachem tabs have traces. You might want a little more iron, but do not increase the other traces. You could add Seachem Flourish Iron, if you want a liquid, or look into the chelated irons that are available dry. There are 2 that are fairly common, one does best with lower pH, the other at about neutral pH.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look up the chelated iron. Thanks again.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Seachem. Flourish Tabs

Why would you say not to increase other traces? He/She is dosing more macros.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are ways to accomplish things without simply throwing more of everything in there.

Feel free to edit.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
There are ways to accomplish things without simply throwing more of everything in there.
I agree, but if you aren't going to be adding all the micros, then you probably won't need the extra macros.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All the micros are being added. Just not in crazy overdose amounts.

Fish food + fish crap + root tabs (+ tap water if being used).

Feel free to edit.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
All the micros are being added. Just not in crazy overdose amounts.

Fish food + fish crap + root tabs (+ tap water if being used).
I don't see that he says anything about stocking levels, so maybe yes, maybe no. How can you possibly say there is enough fish food/fish waste to supply all the needed micros. If that were the case then he probably wouldn't need to be adding more kno3 or kh2po4. Maybe you know more about his tank, but from what is stated here in this thread we can't say. Please correct me if I am wrong.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I didn't say that there is enough fish food + waste to supply all of the needed micros. I specifically said that all of the micros are being added, just not in crazy overdose amounts.

Should I try and read between the lines also!

Are you just trying to recommend the OP to increase trace dosing to increase sales? Don't answer, we both know it's a stupid question. But please, don't pretend to make my words out to be something they are not.

In my opinion, the amount of trace elements that are supplied in the root tabs is probably enough in and of itself. Using the reasonable assumption that there is tap water + fish + food only serves to bolster that opinion.

If you disagree, fine, just say so without all the beating around the bush! Cheers.

Feel free to edit.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I didn't say that there is enough fish food + waste to supply all of the needed micros. I specifically said that all of the micros are being added, just not in crazy overdose amounts.

Should I try and read between the lines also!

Are you just trying to recommend the OP to increase trace dosing to increase sales? Don't answer, we both know it's a stupid question. But please, don't pretend to make my words out to be something they are not.

In my opinion, the amount of trace elements that are supplied in the root tabs is probably enough in and of itself. Using the reasonable assumption that there is tap water + fish + food only serves to bolster that opinion.

If you disagree, fine, just say so without all the beating around the bush! Cheers.
I apologize, I was just trying to understand where you are coming from and what you mean, when you say all the micros are coming from..., I assume you mean that there are enough being supplied. I am sorry for misconstruing your words. I am unable to honestly respond to your other statement due to rules here, if you would like to discuss it further please feel free to pm me.

Anyways, in my opinion there is no reason to add extra iron by itself in a low tech tank. Is extra iron needed? Maybe, maybe not. However, if you are going to add the extra iron why not add the other micronutrients as well as iron at the same time, and mostly likely for a cheaper price. If you want to go with a seachem product then flourish comp would be a good option.
Audionut and Audionut like this.

Last edited by nilocg; 01-19-2016 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Fjkl
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was pretty sure I was responding like a *ick, thanks for confirming it.

Relative to pH and ORP, the other micro elements maintain solubility much better then iron, which requires much lower pH and ORP to have soluble predominance.

https://www.wou.edu/las/physci/ch412/pourbaix.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pourbaix_diagram

If I was suffering Fe deficiency symptoms, I would absolutely only dose Fe, and most certainly not the other micros (also), just because. These other micro elements become toxic at relatively minor concentrations, adding them just because, doesn't make sense.
nilocg and nilocg like this.

Feel free to edit.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaka View Post
I would hold off on dosing iron if your plants are fine without it. If not, get the 10%. I personally don't have any experience with the other 2. But 10% works for me.
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode