parameters & sick platy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
One of my 6 platies is sick. He hides near the surface usually and his fins are down. He has been a lighter color than the other 5 since I got them so it's hard to say if he is pale because the other fish's colors have been getting more brilliant. The other 5 platies are lively. They seem to pick on the sick one though.
ANYWAY.....I don't see any white spots or flakes on him, so I checked my parameters and I'm not sure if they are good:

Ammonia & Nitrite were both zero
GH5
KH3 (it was 4 last week??)
PH 7.5 (my low ph kit said 7.6, my high ph kit said 7.4)

My plants and the other five platies seem great, I'm just worried about the one little guy right now.
Any advice would be great!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 03:31 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dont know how old this tank is or the fish so...
Well your parameters are good although your PH is higher then I would keep... I always cringed at any PH over 7 through the years.(personally)
But if thats what your PH has been kept at its no problem. And if your other fish are showing no ill effects I would just say... My condolences and replace him/her.
Only thing to do for now is quarantine him and watch for a while...as well as others...dont look promising though.

I just think its one of those things...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I had a feeling from the start he was kind of a runt, but I always liked runts. I have had the platies for over 3 weeks, the tank has been set up for over two months. It is heavily planted and I would have added more fish, but when I noticed he may be sick, I held off. The platies seem to have incredible appetites, but I do not think I'm overfeeding, they get flake twice a day and eat all that I give them. I have noticed him and one or two others sort of popping at the top, can't tell if they are trying for food or air.
I would like to get my ph down a little, what would be the best way to attempt lowering it??

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

That platy is still hanging in there, but not looking to good. I am trying to find the best way to lower my ph, I was think about buying some of that Proper PH 7.0, but there's gotta be a better way.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 12:52 AM

I hate adding chemicals to adjust pH. :evil:

Could you adjust by adding Deionized water? You could then adjust the electrolytes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Alot of pH adjusters have phosphate in them which will cause algae growth. I agree with Docone, adding chemicals to your tank is not a good idea. I've kept platies in pH of 7.6 and they do fine in my alkaline St.Louis water. There are a couple ways to decrease pH. One, CO2, two, reverse osmosis, and I personally the cheapest way, rainwater.

Here is a link on rainwater(if you can't do CO2):

http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/rain.html

Felix

20G heavily planted tank with Eco Complete
Pressurized CO2, Eheim Ecco 2236, 1 55W and 1 36W bulb
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

My platy is laying on the bottom now, he is pale and thin, I think he has suffered enough. I'd appreciate suggestions. :cry:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 04:37 PM

As a last resort, when I have to pull a sick fish from the tank :cry: I usually put it in a zip lock freezer bag with water and then freeze it. I read somewhere that this is the most humane way to kill a fish. Supposedly the temperature dropping slows their metabolism and they eventually go to "sleep" :cry:
If this isn't the most humane way to kill a fish, please no one tell me.......I will feel so guilty.

Kelly
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just use oil of cloves(available at any health food store), take some aquarium water, add some oil of cloves in(like 10 drops), shake till uts milky white. ADd fish, wait till it doesn't move.

The oil of cloves is a light anesthetic, so it guaranteed to work for small tropical fish.

Felix

20G heavily planted tank with Eco Complete
Pressurized CO2, Eheim Ecco 2236, 1 55W and 1 36W bulb
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

The platy is in fish heaven.
A note on my PH... I removed my 1 and a half ton of charcoal from my emperor 280 and added a little bit of Seachem's Renew.

"Renew[tm] is an effective and economical replacement for activated carbon. While Renew[tm] is capable of organic removal and sub-micron filtration, it is less aggressive than carbon. It will not alter pH, remove trace elements, or release phosphates. It is suited for the reef or planted aquaria where aggressive chemical action may be a problem. A 250 mL bottle of Renew[tm] treats up to 40 gallons for several months. Marine or freshwater use. "

My ph came down from 7.5 to 7.2, is this a coincidence? Checked the ph in my tap water and it was 6.8.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode